Gear Cable Snapping

dilatory
dilatory Posts: 565
edited August 2014 in Workshop
So tonight (thankfully not far from home) my RD gear cable while shifting just snapped. It's been fine, shifted absolutely fine yesterday... Looking at the cable it looks like the teflon outer has worn and I guess cables gave in. I have 2,500 miles on them so this is far too early. What should I look for in the shifter to see if there's something rubbing? Ultegra 6800 btw.

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Where did it snap?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • dilatory
    Right in the shifter. There's about an inch from the end of the cable.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I think I'd be asking Shimano to replace the shifter. It's not like you can take them apart to have a good look around. Are they still under warranty?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • dilatory
    Bike is not even 3 months old. I didn't set it up originally. Maybe I should re-cable and see if it happens again before worrying about warranty? Shifter works otherwise fine. May well have been installed incorrectly by the shop.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Take it back to the shop - up to 6 months they have to prove there wasn't an "inherent fault" to get out of repairing it. They should re-cable FOC as, as you say, 3 months is not an acceptable lifespan, and no tosh about "wear and tear" or "consumable" either.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My RD cable broke in the exactly the same place, it was 5,000 miles old mind, and Campagnolo. However the point where it broke is telling - its the area of the cable which gets continuously bent round the circular part of the shifter mechanism which turns as you shift to take up or release tension. I'm surprised it broke so soon, but likely your shop will just replace the cable FOC and put it down to luck (or lack of it).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    From what I've read DA9000 had a problem with cable routing (essentially too tight a bend in the shifter) which Shimano have fixed with the move to version 9001 of the shifters. Ultegra, I've not read of any problems.

I'd recable it, housings and all and see what happens.