Best groupset advice

sparky24
sparky24 Posts: 195
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking to buy a new groupset but, I don,t know which too buy. I have been out of cycling for 4 years and my last groupset was campagnolo record 10 speed. I have never used SRAM and wondered what it is like. Thanks for any help :D

Comments

• SRAM is a bit like Campag a bit like Shimano
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sparky24
    Thanks mate, appreciate the comment. I,m glad I came on here.
  • Pedro77
    Pedro77 Posts: 59
    If you where riding Record 4 years ago you probably knew a bit about road bikes or just got a second hand bike... If you knew what you where riding then then stop trolling....

Otherwise you don't state budget, or anything so best groupset just get the top of the range of either SRAM, Campagnolo or Shimano, any of them will fulfill your spec of "best groupset"
  • sparky24
    Simply wondering what the new group sets are like, the old shimano 10 speed was smooth but I felt the campagnolo was not as smoth, but in the last 4 years they have all brought out new groupsets , and there is a big price difference between the 3. I like the look of the SRAM but have spoke to a few cyclists who were not fans of the double tap. Just asking for a few opinions
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    sparky24 wrote:
    Simply wondering what the new group sets are like, the old shimano 10 speed was smooth but I felt the campagnolo was not as smoth, but in the last 4 years they have all brought out new groupsets , and there is a big price difference between the 3. I like the look of the SRAM but have spoke to a few cyclists who were not fans of the double tap. Just asking for a few opinions
    You'll get loads of opinion but I doubt it will help much as people tend to favor what they are using. Personally I use Campagnolo. I like it due to the shape of the hoods and the feel of the shifting. Shimano is so smooth and efficient but for me not as comfortable. Basically they all work but shimano has a lot of advantages.

1. Generally it's cheaper
    2. More people have it so second hand stuff is more plentiful and therefore cheaper.
    3. 11 speed had now reached a very affordable level.

You won't go wrong with any of them.
  • sparky24
    Thanks, I think I will buy SRAM red, and give that ago.
  • Note both the RED (10 speed) and RED 22 (11 speed) are both still being sold.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Calpol wrote:
    sparky24 wrote:
    You'll get loads of opinion but I doubt it will help much as people tend to favor what they are using. Personally I use Campagnolo. I like it due to the shape of the hoods and the feel of the shifting. Shimano is so smooth and efficient but for me not as comfortable. Basically they all work but shimano has a lot of advantages.

1. Generally it's cheaper
    2. More people have it so second hand stuff is more plentiful and therefore cheaper.
    3. 11 speed had now reached a very affordable level.

You won't go wrong with any of them.

Also

4. You could walk into most bike shops in the world and pick up spares for Shimano

I use Campagnolo, and frankly for the money, i wouldn't buy it again. Spares are expensive as are replacement bits for what i can tell, no increase/decrease in performance. It does look nice, but thats subjective.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    This is a bit of a weird thread - OP asks for opinions on top groupsets, the only feedback he has received is negative against SRAM; no opinions yet expressed on this thread about SRAM and the OP appears to have decided to go SRAM.

As a starting point, I'd suggest the OP decides in principal between mechanical and electrical shifting and having decided that, then drills down into the different options available from manufacturers.

Peter
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    I use campag and I'm quite happy with it based on my experience with it and what I've seen with other people's bikes - currently use Chorus 11 on one bike and Record 10 on another. I don't think it is more expensive than the equivalent from other makes either - well maybe Super Record is but you don't buy that for vfm.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Personally I like shimano and feel the new 11 sp ultegra is as good as I'll ever need. Also there's plenty of spares available in shops which is important as in France recently and a friends rear SRAM derailleur broke and local bike shop couldn't really fix it as they didn't have the SRAM parts, they did in shimano though (not much use to friend).
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Got Sram red, Campag chorus, Ultegra and Dura ace. Didnt know what i would make of Sram red, but i love it and would change all my bikes over to it if i had the spare cash.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I hadn't read any negative comments re SRAM until the post above?

Groupset choice is entirely subjective. What someone else prefers, you may hate. Go any try them all and make your choice. They all have their own characteristics but all are reliable.

SRAM double tap makes sense to a lot of riders and the hoods fit small hands better. They aren't quiet when changing compared to the other two main brands, but that doesn't bother me. With reference to finding parts in France; as a SRAM user (Red and Force) I've had no problems with things breaking in 4 years of use including falling off and impact on the RD.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    It's all about making the right choice for you - if you are looking at record/red/Ultegra/DA type levels you are not going to get a *bad* groupset. Three main things will need to ne looked at - the shape of the shifters - will you find them comfortable? The shifting options are different - Campag use thumb shifters, Sram have double tap, and shimano use the brake levers for shifting - which will you get on with? Then there are looks - IMHO Campag are the best looking, but I have just fitted Force to a bike as looks are a lower priority. I like the sape of them and I like DT.

Then there is electronic shifting. If you want that SRAM are out (for now).

Get to a decent large bike shop, have a look at the shifters and see what fot your hands.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • A mix and match of SRAM red/force is a good compromise between weight and cost, The Red chainset and levers are great, maybe the cassette also, force mechs and brakes are good value.
    I find the SRAM far superior to Campag (although only used Chorus and Athena), faster and the more precise. The levers fit my hand and the double tap was second nature in seconds. The button on the campag stuff was always in the wrong place for me, i could never reach it properly on the drops.
  • sparky24
    Thanks for the positive comments, I was looking at the SRAM because I have small hands and felt the hoods were more comfortable . I have had a ride using the SRAM red and liked it, so that's what I went for. Again thanks for the advice and will post pics of my new bike soon.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Note both the RED (10 speed) and RED 22 (11 speed) are both still being sold.

Insightful.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Campag spares are not that expensive, campag 11 speed cassette are more expensive than Shimano Ultegra 6800 but other spares are a similar price (cable set e.t.c) unless you are talking about spare bolts as campagnolo bolts are pricey.

SRAM, campagnolo and Shimano drive train all shift gears. If high end SRAM, shimano and Camgnolo are compared i.e Force Chrous and Ultrgra 6800 then they are all smooth shifting. Hood shape is the one place where they actually differ in any significant way so I would pick the hood shape you like and the one you think looks the best. If you are looking at Veloce, Apex or 105 then the campagnolo version does have the most postive or for some clunkiest gear change compared to the other two but given the way I have described it you can conclude some like the way veloce shift.

They all shift, personally SRAM double tap is not something I like and I don't like the brake lever/gear shifter on shimano drivetrains but that is a persoanl preference as many get on with them just fine.

So take a test ride and try them out that is the only way you will know.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Campag spares are not that expensive, campag 11 speed cassette are more expensive than Shimano Ultegra 6800 but other spares are a similar price (cable set e.t.c) unless you are talking about spare bolts as campagnolo bolts are pricey.

SRAM, campagnolo and Shimano drive train all shift gears. If high end SRAM, shimano and Camgnolo are compared i.e Force Chrous and Ultrgra 6800 then they are all smooth shifting. Hood shape is the one place where they actually differ in any significant way so I would pick the hood shape you like and the one you think looks the best. If you are looking at Veloce, Apex or 105 then the campagnolo version does have the most postive or for some clunkiest gear change compared to the other two but given the way I have described it you can conclude some like the way veloce shift.

They all shift, personally SRAM double tap is not something I like and I don't like the brake lever/gear shifter on shimano drivetrains but that is a persoanl preference as many get on with them just fine.

So take a test ride and try them out that is the only way you will know.

+1 on that...pick the groupset that has the comfiest hood and go from there. They all shift and shift well. Even comparing Sora 8 speed with Campag Super Record 11 speed, they both shift flawlessly if setup properly.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I had a choice between Ultegra 11 speed mech, Ultegra electronic and SRAM Force and decided to go with SRAM

My decision was based on a few personal choice factors that had nothing to do with them changing gears. I didnt like electronic and felt Ultegra mechanical looks ugly.

On the positive side for SRAM i preferred the hood shape due to small hands as others have said and really loved the double tap and mechanical feel of their shifting - its a real definite click to change gear which i like.

Now after riding SRAM for a few months the negatives - i have found its pretty loud when shifting at the rear - much louder and maybe not as "smooth" as Ultegra. The FD was also an absolute pig to set up and im still getting a bit of chain rub even tho its the new YAW system.

Bottom line is it changes gear when i ask it to - the same as any other groupset and it really comes down to personal choice on the minor things like looks and shape of hoods
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Ben29
    Ben29 Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I am planning to ride to work as part of my knee rehab.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably price helmet camera (£150 max)

Cheers
    Ben
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Ben29 wrote:
    Hi there,

I am planning to ride to work as part of my knee rehab.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably price helmet camera (£150 max)

Cheers
    Ben

Use the search function of the forums for some of the threads on this subject instead of changing the title and subject of a thread about groupsets. I know it's your first post and this isn't the most user friendly forum layout ever.