Light cleaning

CSMR
CSMR Posts: 10
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
I'm wondering how to clean my road bike. I enjoy cycling but I find cleaning and maintenance daunting.

I have looked online at recommended methods and have bought the materials (muc off, dry grease, wet grease), but the process is very involved for me and I don't think I can do this more than once every year.

Is there a light cleaning that can be done easily? I have used kitchen towel and water in the past but it takes a long time and is not very effective.

The main problem is that the grease gets all over my trousers, not usually when I am cycling but when I am getting off and on and moving the bike. But I would also like the bike to be cleaner in general.

I don't have access to a hose but can get required cleaning materials if they are sold at the major supermarkets.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Baby wipes are the answer to all your problems ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    drlodge wrote:

Agreed! Baby wipes are awesome and i have been using them for years for various things.

The hoods on my colnago are white and go grubby very quickly, a quick going over with the wipes and they are white again. Also excellent for removing gloss paint of the vinyl floor of the bathroom.... But that is another story!
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Fudgey wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Agreed! Baby wipes are awesome and i have been using them for years for various things.

The hoods on my colnago are white and go grubby very quickly, a quick going over with the wipes and they are white again. Also excellent for removing gloss paint of the vinyl floor of the bathroom.... But that is another story!

Again baby wipes.

Although make sure they are the cotton type and not cheap paper.

I have also found that nail varnish remover is good at getting difficult marks off your frame. Bit on a cotton wool bud applied on scuffs and light scratches removes a lot of grime.
  • fudgey
    I wouldnt personally use nail varnish remover, its an acetone ie paint stripper!
    Pampers or johnsons wetwipes for the win.
    I tend not to let my bike get horrifically dirty but was caught in a massive downpour yesterday, and will ride to wrok in the morning and probably clean my bike in my lunch break.
    We have alcohol wipes at work, and some good cleaning products, degreasers etc.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Fudgey wrote:
    I wouldnt personally use nail varnish remover, its an acetone ie paint stripper!
    Pampers or johnsons wetwipes for the win.
    I tend not to let my bike get horrifically dirty but was caught in a massive downpour yesterday, and will ride to wrok in the morning and probably clean my bike in my lunch break.
    We have alcohol wipes at work, and some good cleaning products, degreasers etc.

The nail varnish remover is good in small isolated areas. It works a bit like T-CUT so its perfectly fine. Not suggesting you smother the frame in it.
  • fudgey
    Gotcha.

I still wont use it tho lol.

One more thing, i have a lot of car cleaning products so was thinking about giving my bike a good waxing. Not really sure if its needed but will make it much easier to wipe clean.
    After-all, my winter training bike will be exactly the same as my summer one, just dirty!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I use a car wax on my frames and it does make cleaning easier. I defo wouldn't dream of using nail varnish remover, no matter how small the area.
  • yes,found that nail varnish remover is good at getting difficult marks off your frame. Bit on a cotton wool bud applied on scuffs and light scratches removes a lot of grime.1mnQwaBthank you
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're getting 'grease' all over your trousers just getting on and off the bike it sounds like you're putting way too much lube on your chain and / or not wiping it down enough.

Would you describe the chain as black or is it shiny?
  • CSMR
    drlodge wrote:
    Brilliant thanks; this is perfect for a lazy person like me!
  • CSMR
    keef66 wrote:
    If you're getting 'grease' all over your trousers just getting on and off the bike it sounds like you're putting way too much lube on your chain and / or not wiping it down enough.

Would you describe the chain as black or is it shiny?
    It's black, and I think I realized I was putting too much on. I was trying to get rid of some clicking but it came from elsewhere. I didn't wipe it down, so I should do this. Also with baby wipes :) ?
  • fudgey
    I just use blue paper towel. I oiled my chain the other week with a wet lube, wiped it for ages then went for a ride. Got back and i thiught the rear wheel was covered in brake dust but it wasnt, it was the damn oil. I have white wheels too so it was a right bugger to clean off!
    Gave the chain a good wiping with a load more paper towel - i got through a fair bit.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    If you want a clean bike I think you might have to do the job more than once a year.

Baby wipes, or a rag with a little GT85 on it. Weekly.
    Degreasing spray and light hosing once every dozen rides or so.
    Pull the whole thing apart, clean it and rebuild it annually.

But then I really like bike maintenance.
  • For light cleaning of the frame I use a good microfibre cloth and the other halves Autoglym Rapid Detailer from her car cleaning kit. Spray it on the microfibre, wipe down and buff off. Job done :)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set