Cervelo R3 Frameset 54cm just purchased

nanas1
nanas1 Posts: 50
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
I have just purchased a 54cm White Cervelo R3 Frame and need to think about what I'm gonna spec it up with, So I'm looking for your vast knowledge in what I should go for with regards to
Carbon Bars
Carbon Stem
Carbon Seatpost

I think I am gonna go Shimano Ultegra Levers, Brakes, Derailiers etc with a Rotor 3DF Chainset, but would really like help with the rest.

thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Don't buy a 'carbon stem' unless it's a Ritchey Superlogic. The vast majority are carbon wrapped aluminium and are heavier than their alloy counterparts. Carbon bars are also a waste IMO. You can get alu bars in the 220g range for way cheaper and if you ever down with carbon bars they'll be pretty much unrideable if they break (at least you can get home on alu).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Current iteration of ultegra is lovely. Enve make very nice carbon seat posts. Re carbon bars/stem, not sure I would bother. I've got a carbon enve stem/bar on my r5 and I'm not really seeing much of a gain in the Alu ones I've always ridden in terms of either weight or reduced buzz, probably not worth the increased cost. Though they do look pretty lovely....

You will love the r3.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    edited August 2014
    Assuming the R3 has the same BBRight bottom bracket as the R5 (I have the R5, built from the frame), then one thing to make sure of is that the chainset you choose will actually fit. I chose to use the SRAM S950 as this fits the standard PF30 BB directly without needing any adapters etc. The rest of the group set is a mixture of SRAM RED (10 speed) and SRAM Force components (I didn't want the RED ceramic bearings in the rear mech).

For the rest of the kit, my frame came with a 3T Dorico Ltd seatpost and I use a 3T stem. Personally I wouldn't bother with a carbon stem, the weight saving is pretty much zero. I did have 3T bars but in the end couldn't live with them and swapped them for FSA ones. I use Elite custom race bottle cages, they work pretty well and come in a good range of colors so it was easy to match my black/white/grey frame. Oh and I used SRAM bar tape.

Half the fun of this is building a bike with the parts that you really like. Have selecting them!
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Gotta be 3T on a Cervelo, surely?..

He says, knowing full well his own R3 has a FSA seat post and bars..... But it does have an arx pro stem !

Go with the Ultegra though, fantastic groupset.

What wheels?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • nanas1
    nanas1 Posts: 50
    not had any thoughts on wheels as yet, will depend on what i have left in the budget..... Probably looking at around £500-600 left after i get everything