Brake upgrade time

Craig24
Craig24 Posts: 150
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently running Hope C2's on my Trail SL. I know there very old but they seem to have stood the test of time, and I've never had any issues until now. Recently one of the pistons on the front caliper has become sticky and isn't returning correctly. I've tried lubing it, I think the next step is to strip the caliper down and polish and lube.

If that doesn't work, I am thinking its a good time to upgrade to something more modern, I have a budget of under £100 (the less the better) and don't mind buying used. Been looking at used SLX M675's, how do people find these? Will they be much of an improvement over my old Hope's?

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ha! You're gonna get universal (BR) approvement for the SLX. Great brakes. Managed to get myself a set of XT's for £104 last week but that included a £15 discount voucher, so yeah - for your budget SLX all the way. If you wanna save a few quid the Deore's are by all accounts just as good, slightly heavier and you'll lose the tool-less reach adjust.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like you need to take the piston out for a cleanup as you say, not sure what you mean by Polish though.

We have three bikes in the family running 2006-2009 Shimano M765 with no issues....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Hope products will usually work after a clean
    But if not, Shimano all the way..
  • Craig24
    Craig24 Posts: 150
    I will try a disassemble and proper clean then first. I do like them but they obviously getting very old.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    ha! You're gonna get universal (BR) approvement for the SLX. Great brakes. Managed to get myself a set of XT's for £104 last week but that included a £15 discount voucher, so yeah - for your budget SLX all the way. If you wanna save a few quid the Deore's are by all accounts just as good, slightly heavier and you'll lose the tool-less reach adjust.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris