New Chinese Carbon Build rigid Forks

carbjet
carbjet Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Embarking on a Chinese carbon build. Geometry of bike suggests 460mm length for a suspension fork.
I wanted rigid carbon forks and accidentally bought a 470mm length carbon fork instaed of 460mm. Will the extra 10mm be noticeable or make any difference to the frame's integrity?

My first post as the frame hasn't arrived yet

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will make tiny differences to the way it rides, but I doubt you'd notice, as for strength, I don't think the frame will suddenly fail due to the circa 2% increase in forces.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am sure you have done your research but be very, very careful buying direct from China. The quality control varies a lot from OK to dangerous. Also you will have no come back as they can just ignore you.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The quality control varies a lot from OK to dangerous. Also you will have no come back as they can just ignore you.

Any first hand experience of that? Other than a few interwebz horror stories I've never known anyone have any problems. As for comeback, several folks have had better experience than many western sellers! A friend smashed a carbon rim by riding it with a flat tyre into a load of rocks, they sent him a new one FOC. Can't argue with that!

Fork length will be fine.
  • kajjal
    njee20 wrote:
    The quality control varies a lot from OK to dangerous. Also you will have no come back as they can just ignore you.

Any first hand experience of that? Other than a few interwebz horror stories I've never known anyone have any problems. As for comeback, several folks have had better experience than many western sellers! A friend smashed a carbon rim by riding it with a flat tyre into a load of rocks, they sent him a new one FOC. Can't argue with that!

Fork length will be fine.

Yes, I have purchased a few things from China and the quality has varied from dangerous to fine. Strangely higher prices don't always follow with better quality. For that reason I wouldn't risk it on a road bike let alone a mountain bike as I can't easily see the faults beyond the obvious in a carbon frame. I want to feel I can trust my bike so buy one from bigger brand as they have a reputation to protect and while the price is higher the quality is reliable.

Depends how you see risk.
  • njee20
    So have you any first hand experience of dangerous carbon bike parts?
  • kajjal
    No, like a carbon frame I would not take the risk of buying them direct from China. If they were manufactured there under tight quality controls by a respected brand then that would be fine.
  • njee20
    Right, so you're basically just making assumptions?

Stuff made anywhere can fail. Buying from a 'known brand' clearly provides you with a bit of reassurance, but that's it. That's no problem, but don't then say stuff can be dangerous, and you'll have no comeback, as neither are true.

I had a Chinese carbon frame, it was excellent. I now have a pair of wheels, they're excellent. There are plenty of reputable brands with a Chinese shop front, they're easy to deal with, have good after sales and rigorous testing processes.
  • kajjal
    I am not looking to argue with you , I just made the point when buying direct from China do your research and be careful for your own safety. For me personally it is too risky as the quality control is very variable and there are too many unknowns.
  • carbjet
    carbjet Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies. I did buy the frame from a company with a good reputation. I made the mistake of ordering the fork after a couple of beers and without consulting the frame geometry. Unfortunately i remembered it.

The fork is due to arrive in a couple of days and i will measure it for accuracy then.
    It was described as 470mm and i just checked the geometry plan again today and realised it is 490mm from axle to crown!! 470 seems to be the blade length.

I will wait until it arrives, will check it out and probably have to resell, just hope i dont get stung with import duty etc

Will post some pics of the frame and fork quality when i can. :D