Tyre choice

Whitmore_fan
Whitmore_fan Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and relatively new to road cycling. Have been cycling for about a year now and training for the Ride London 100 this Sunday. Training complete and really looking forward to the sportive.

Anyway, one thing that is bugging me. I have done almost all my training on Conti Gatorskin tyres and they have been brilliant. One puncture in an entire years training. However I decided to treat myself for the Ride London to a pair of Schwabe Ultremo ZX tyres. I did a lot of research before I bought the tyres but now I'm not so sure. I haven't put the Ultremo's on my wheels yet and I'm running out of time, I would want a least a couple of lazy hour rides before Sunday just to get some experience on the tyres. Also bit concerned about punctures based on some of the reviews and the state of the Leith Hill climb road, which i did a few times last week and it is not a great road with lots of stones. The weather Sunday is looking like light patchy rain.

So advice, the Gatorskins I have have on my bike have done 2500 miles, but I do have a brand new set to replace. Or do I put the Ultremo's on a go for it.

Thanks, sorry for the muppet question!

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    The Ultremos are, or course, more fragile (or less tough) than the gators - but the ride is so much better due to the more flexible carcass. They're also a doddle to get on/off rims (not something you can always say of the Gators!) and are good and grippy (due to softer compound) in both dry and wet. You'll enjoy the ride more with them on IMO.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Got my RL100 tyres on last week. Do it, its a 10 minute job and I'm guessing you are doing some sort of slow ride before Sunday.
  • Thanks guys,

They're on the wheels, put them on this afternoon and i'll go out for my first ride on these tyres this evening. You're right, they are an absolutely doddle to put on, far easier than the gators! First time I've used folding types.....
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    Just make sure that you ride a mile or two before the weekend. If you're going to have problems as a result of your fitting, they will show up quickly.

I have two bikes to prep - both got new Conti 4000S GPIIs at the weekend. Both have now done a couple of miles and are fine.

Not only should your new treads reduce the prospect of a puncture, but their profile won't be worn like your old rubber and should offer less rolling resistance.

it's not going to be overly hot on Sunday, so I'd pump them up to within 10psi of their max.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    HertsG wrote:
    it's not going to be overly hot on Sunday, so I'd pump them up to within 10psi of their max.

Its likely to be wet so I'd not pump them up hard at all.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rafletcher
    As to pressure...

Well the contact patch is tiny anyway, and a certain amount of pressure is necessary to prevent pinch flats. FWIW I think there's a lot of over-thinking on this subject. I stick around 6 bar in the front and 6.5-7bar in the rear whatever the weather. Might drop it 0.3bar / 5 psi in the wet, but I'm a plodder and risk averse so not leaning into corners much in the wet.
  • Scrub the new tyres with soapy water, rub then down with some rough sandpaper lightly and rinse them off before use. Tyres have mould release agent on them and can be slippy if you don't do that. Bet you a million you never go back to GSkins once you feel how lovely your bike is with Ultremos and see your average speed jump.
  • Thanks for the further replies :-)

Last night I went out for a relaxing 20 miles on the Ultremo's and they are fantastic. Having never cycled on anything but GSkins you really notice the different in terms of road noise, smoothness and average speed.

I think 20 miles will have scrubbed them in well? Going to definitely use them Sunday even though the weather forecast is getting worse day by day!

Thanks everyone
  • rafletcher
    Scrub the new tyres with soapy water, rub then down with some rough sandpaper lightly and rinse them off before use.

You actually do that! :roll: Easier to ride a mile or two if you that worried. :D
  • rafletcher wrote:
    Scrub the new tyres with soapy water, rub then down with some rough sandpaper lightly and rinse them off before use.

You actually do that! :roll: Easier to ride a mile or two if you that worried. :D

Ride a mile or two, hit some wet or oily road or a wet leaf etc within those two miles and ...

I also seriously doubt a mile r two is enough, I've bought tyres that were white with mould release agent.

Scrub them at home before setting out takes about 15 mins - time well spent in my book but Im not in a rush when it comes to safety.
  • Millidog
    Millidog Posts: 32
    Ultremo`s good choice, Conti GP 4000 `s very good tyre also..... No need to wash first !! - PS stay away from Mavic tyres.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Millidog wrote:
    Ultremo`s good choice, Conti GP 4000 `s very good tyre also..... No need to wash first !! - PS stay away from Mavic tyres.
    Not sure about that. I bought a new bike at the start of the summer which came with 25mm Mavic Yksion Pro tyres. Having read mixed reviews I planned to switch to Conti GP4000s and even bought a set but having ridden the Yksions I found them very nice so they're still there and the Contis can wait for the time being. The Mavic Yksion Pro tyres seem very good in the dry. They're comfortable, smooth and quiet rolling and seem grippy in the dry. I haven't done much aggressive wet riding on them so can't attest to their wet grip but this is where they have tended to get negative comments in reviews. I've had no punctures, very little cutting and wear doesn't seem excessive in the 1200-1500km I've done on them to date.
    Wet grip may still prove to be an issue but aside from that I like them.
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    HertsG wrote:
    I have two bikes to prep - both got new Conti 4000S GPIIs at the weekend. Both have now done a couple of miles and are fine.

So I ran my tyres at 110psi and the squeeze's at 100psi (she's a lighter than me).

No punctures; no dismounts.

Result.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I went from Gators to Schwalbe 'Ones' - I too could not believe the difference. As in formula one - tyre technology is forging ahead.