BB30 removal tool, not sliding in

nickkiwi
nickkiwi Posts: 20
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hey there,

First time poster here and novice bike mechanic... at best.

I'm trying to remove and then reinstall my BB30 bearings due to creaking sounds (tried many things previously, new pedals, bearings, now I will Loctite 641 them). The bike is a Cannondale SuperSix Evo and please excuse the disgraceful condition of it!! I have all the tools, I think, but running into a problem quite early on and would love some input please from those who know better.

My FSA BB30 bearing removal (EE019) tool doesn't slide into the bottom bracket shell, see the images below. I feel like I'm making a rudimental error.

Here is the bottom bracket shell: xzWFUOi.jpg

Here is my trying to fit the tool - it simply will not go in any further than this: xDx2G4K.jpg

Any ideas?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    lettering on the bb shell says pressfit 30 not bb30, what goes on around the bearing is different

maybe the plastic cup behind the bearing is fouling the tool, you'd need to grind off some of the tool to get it to fit
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nickkiwi
    Thanks sungod.

I was put off my crankset reading BB30 on it and also the bottom of the frame which you can just see in the top picture also saying BB30. Is that strange that they both say BB30 and then when you actually get to the BB it's PressFit?
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    That's odd. Looking at this page:
    http://www.cannondale.com/twn/2014/bike ... -black-inc
    It looks like the frame is indeed pf 30 but it then seems to say that the bb is some sort of cannondale pf 30 shell with a BB30 bearing in it! I thought the main point of PF 30 was that it was an all in one thing with the bearing mounted in the plastic housing. Not really sure how you should remove those though, hopefully someone that is familiar with the cannondale setup will help out!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    tbh the proliferation of pressed-in bb types has become ridiculous

with pf30 there's a plastic cup that holds the bearing, this complete assembly is pressed into the frame, afaik you need to knock out the complete assembly not just the bearing

rather than using a bb30 tool, a flat bar of metal about 44mm long 10mm wide should slip in easily, then use some rubber bands to hold it against the inside face of the cup while you insert a drift from the other side to tap it out, even a piece of wood or plastic might be strong enough

alternatively stick a piece of broom handle in from the other side and very gently tap/shift/tap/shift it around the edge of the cup to more or less evenly remove it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Gently drifting it out is probably the best bet - I believe Cannondale have their own specific BB's. I have a length of copper rod that I use fir drifting stuff. You'll also need to check that you have the correct replacement tool as well, one that fully engages with the outer face of the bearing as you "press" (or more correctly I guess "pull") it back in.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    rafletcher wrote:
    You'll also need to check that you have the correct piece of wood as well, one that fully engages with the outer face of the bearing as you "hammer" it back in.

Fixed your BB30 advise guidelines. :-)
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    My 2012 Supersix certainly came with a standard BB30. I changed it for a 24mm sleeve and external screw fit Shimano bearings and lived happily ever after.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    dilatory wrote:
    rafletcher wrote:
    You'll also need to check that you have the correct piece of wood as well, one that fully engages with the outer face of the bearing as you "hammer" it back in.

Fixed your BB30 advise guidelines. :-)

That's the way I did it.
    A quick rummage around the garage for a few pieces of wood, support the BB shell with a large piece of wood, whack the bearings out with a smaller piece of wood, then tap the new ones in with a larger piece of wood but be careful not to damage the plastic seals. Jobs a good un.
  • nickkiwi
    Thank you for your advice all. I've just now got the Pressfit BB removed by using the Park Tool BBT-90.3 driver and a hammer. I did it as delicately as possible and it came out no worries. The BBT-90.3 comes with the installation bushings which i'll use on my home-made press after using Loctite 641 to *hopefully* silence this bad boy.

Will post an update once I'm done.