The Rusty Raleigh: how rusty is too rusty?

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited August 2014 in Your road bikes
The Rusty Raleigh

14834275155_6dcf0e7661_z.jpg
The Rust

14647564710_8260da85ef_z.jpg

...so after about 12 years of sitting in a garage ignored, then 8 years of abuse from an overweight rider on bumpy roads, compounded by neglect and pretty much non-existent maintenance, I happen to notice the RH seat stay looking a bit dubious. Might have been that way for a while for all I know... I have covered several hundred miles (mostly on the beautiful but often rough roads of the Kintyre peninsula) since then but I'm assuming this is slightly terminal. Can anyone offer any other suggestions or is it time to buy a 21st century bike?

Comments

• Scrap
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    New bike time.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A length of duck tape should sort that out.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Just paint over it and flog it.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    This isn't terminal. There is very little that can go wrong with a steel bike that cannot be repaired. Even bottom brackets can be cut out and replaced, tube replacement is relatively simple.
    Whether or not it is worth repairing depends on the condition of the rest of the frame and the value you place on it. This used to be the bread and butter of framebuilders work.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    You need to sand it down and see how deep/superficial it is... most likely it's superficial and you can prime it/paint it over once you've removed the rust or send it for a sand blast respray once you are sure it can be recovered ... a good powder coat can be as low as 60 quid

I agree with the above... in principle it could be repiared even if a new tube was needed, problem is the new breed of frame builders is only worried about how smooth their brazings look and don't want to do the dirty work
    left the forum March 2023
  • Just upgrade it, ..... at least its the same colour :lol:

team.jpg
  • bompington
    Just upgrade it, ..... at least its the same colour :lol:

team.jpg
    Now you're talking! I mean, it's pretty much a like-for-like replacement isn't it?
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    move the cages over and you're back on the road.
  • Big_Dog
    Big_Dog Posts: 2
    Seems you need a new bike! Though I'd keep riding till it fell apart
  • bompington
    drlodge wrote:

Job's a good 'un
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    bompington wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Job's a good 'un

Splendid, that'll be good for another 25+ years! It puts you in good company since even Jason (Rourke) used gaffer tape on my 953 build...

8119127280_f28a87d11e_o.jpg

:shock: :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    bompington wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Job's a good 'un

:):):)