Alternatives to Romin evo pro?

Ted Striker
Ted Striker Posts: 18
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm currently riding a Specialized Romin evo pro which I really get on with. However, riding home tonight the shell cracked and after suffering a similar fate on a few Toupes, I've pretty much given up on specialized saddles now. Is there anything out there with similar profile people would recommend?

Cheers!

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    How much do you weigh? Its never happened to me with two Romins and an EVO pro. I have heard others complaining about this though. I havent managed to find an alternative and I've tried a few. Fizik Aliante / Antares with the trough down the middle might work now they've made the trough deeper.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Currently weighing in at a portly 84kg so certainly no lightweight! Might look at giving the Antares versus a try as I previously spent some time with an Aliante and it wasn't for me... Back to the quest for the perfect saddle it is then me thinks!
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Currently weighing in at a portly 84kg so certainly no lightweight! Might look at giving the Antares versus a try as I previously spent some time with an Aliante and it wasn't for me... Back to the quest for the perfect saddle it is then me thinks!

I am over 90kg and use Toupe saddles. Never had a problem. What size tyres do you use?
  • Run 25s on all of my bikes - usually around 100psi. Strange thing was, it just snapped pootling along on a smooth section of road, ie no hideous bumps or potholes. I have an evo expert on my other bike which has seen many more miles and is still going strong so a bit puzzling.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    No chance of taking it back to the dealer and asking for a replacement - he may be able to return it to Spesh for analysis? It does seem to afflict the Romin and Toupe.

One I have toyed with the idea of trying out but still haven't got round to is one of the Selle SMP saddles eg Dynamic.

Peter
  • Yeah, will certainly pursue getting a replacement as it's only ~1year old and spesh have a 2 year warranty period. Problem is I can't find my receipt and for some reason can't seem to view my order history on their site... I've emailed them to see what they say. However, after having 3 saddles fail in the space of 5 years I think it might be time for a change. Hadn't thought about an SMP. Pretty pricey if I recall?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If you paid by credit card your statement is valid as proof of purchase.
  • Had thought about that but I can only access the last 6 months statements online, plus I buy a lot bike stuff so hard to identify what's what from those! :oops: Contacted the retailer and they very helpfully forwarded my original invoice and suggested I send it back for a warranty claim so shall see how it goes. Would prefer to swap to another manufacturer though if poss...