Disaster I need new Wheels

zippy483
zippy483 Posts: 104
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Well at least a rear one

having got home from riding today and all feeling fine I got off the bike and noticed I had a bit of a rear wheel wobble, on further inspection it seems that one of my spokes has pulled itself out of the rim, the rim now appears to be split at the spoke hole (wheels are Eastons that came with my Cube and are a little over 2 years old) gutted to say the least :{

So the question is with upto about £300 to spend which wheelset would you recommend I've read a couple of reviews of the Fulcrum Racing 5's and they seem good value

I don't race do between 100 and 150 miles a week max just looking for some good all round wheels that won't break the bank but just might outperform the stock Eastons

Comments

• robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Ksyrium Elites or handbuilts I suppose.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    zippy483 wrote:
    Well at least a rear one

having got home from riding today and all feeling fine I got off the bike and noticed I had a bit of a rear wheel wobble, on further inspection it seems that one of my spokes has pulled itself out of the rim, the rim now appears to be split at the spoke hole (wheels are Eastons that came with my Cube and are a little over 2 years old) gutted to say the least :{

So the question is with upto about £300 to spend which wheelset would you recommend I've read a couple of reviews of the Fulcrum Racing 5's and they seem good value

I don't race do between 100 and 150 miles a week max just looking for some good all round wheels that won't break the bank but just might outperform the stock Eastons

I would take the wheel back and see if you can get a replacement. There has been a big thing about the quality of Easton wheels supplied to Cube. This is just another in the long list of cases I have heard of them failing. If you like the Fulcrums, look around for Fulcrum 3s as 2013 model can be found quite cheap nowadays.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Campag Zonda at wiggle
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    If only it had happened a bit earlier! The warranty is two years and I had exactly the same issue with an Easton wheel on a Cube.

I've just bought a set of Campag Zondas. You'll be able to tell the difference night and day, great price on Wiggle right now.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    As there were known issued, I think I would still try with Cube tbh. Could there have been a case for a recall, which would have perhaps stopped this happening.
  • zippy483
    zippy483 wrote:
    Well at least a rear one

I would take the wheel back and see if you can get a replacement. There has been a big thing about the quality of Easton wheels supplied to Cube. This is just another in the long list of cases I have heard of them failing. If you like the Fulcrums, look around for Fulcrum 3s as 2013 model can be found quite cheap nowadays.

Smoggy

Do you have anymore details on this I'd obviously be interested to know more despite them being 2 years old I'd not expect the spokes to pull from the rims, maybe I can wangle something but I won't hold my breath

birdie can i fit a shimano cassette on a set of campag wheels I'd assume so??
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Ill see what I can find. It may be in German but I will loosely translate what I find.
  • zippy483
    That would very much appreciated as would the translation not sure my cold war German is up to it anymore :)

Vielen dank
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Yep, Campag do a Shimano freehub option.

Also, as I said the same happened to mine. I nearly ended up beneath a van on a roundabout when it happened. They were less than two years old so got replaced on warranty. It took 10 months to get the new wheel though and it was faulty so has gone straight back!
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have a set of Fulcrum racing 3s and I think they are reasonable. The hubs don't run as smooth as other wheels though. I would look at The Shimano RS81 C24s as a better option.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-rs8 ... 62700.html

I would suggest though that you buy something used in classified try to sort a warranty claim out and then maybe get something nicer in the end of season sale. Another 4-6 weeks and everything will be cheaper.
  • zippy483
    Just contacted LBS about the wheels and to book the bike in for a service, they seemed to know that they are a problem so fingers crossed I'll get something done about them I'll keep you posted
  • zippy483
    So back from two Weeks hols and fairly good news rear wheels is going to be replaced by Easton for a new wheel they have coming to the market ?? apparently much better quality, also will give discount on front wheel to match I think thats fair enough, only downside is will take another 2 weeks to arrive :(
  • zippy483
    Update

Bike finally back after two months waiting for Easton to replace the wheels, can't complain really as they were out of warranty, seem better quality than the last ones which is good, sealed cartridge bearing hubs seem to run pretty well, Although they still seem to be a wheel made for fitting to new bikes so to speak as they don't feature on Eastons website. first ride today and Happy as a pig in poo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fulcrum 5s are 140 now at wiggle as well!