What size Cervelo R3?

tomwaterfall
tomwaterfall Posts: 26
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I'm having a bit of a dilemma deciding which size frame I should get. I'm on the verge of a buying a 2014 Cervelo R3 and I'm unsure whether I should be a 54 or a 56 and I wanted to know what Cervelo owners thought.

I'm about 178cm tall (Just over 5ft 10) with an inseam of 83-84 cm (33 inches). I've read a lot of conflicting reports and I just wanted to see what some of you had to say. I currently ride a 56cm bianchi which seems to fit me OK although I did have some knee pain awhile back, also I'm 20 (just saying in the unlikely event that I might grow a bit taller - I wish!)

Cheers!!

Comments

• speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    if they are the same geometry as the r5, the 54
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • I think they are mate.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Most likely 54. I had a 54 when the head tubes were a little shorter, and I'm 6ft dead. I also owned a 56cm S1 at one point that had the same geometry, didn't have it long, it was always just a little bit big. I was about the limit of fitting on a 54 at my height, a 5ft8" mate also had a 54cm. I think the 56 will be too big, and I'm not sure you'll get low enough on it if you're like an average flexy 20 year old and you ride in a pretty normal position as against in a mary poppins position.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I have a 2008 R3 SL size 56 with a 100mm stem. Im the same height as you with slightly longer legs (we have long legs for our height). Its not optimum but in those days the head tubes were only 160mm and the 54 was 140mm. So with long legs I would have had quite a drop to the bars on a 54. With the new geometry I would have a 54 but would still need a few spacers under the stem. However, Im three times your age so you should be more flexible, so definitely a 54 with a 110 or 120 stem. My saddle to bar drop on my current bikes is 80mm. Bottom line is though, a bike fit would be a good idea.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • thanks a lot chaps, will probably go for the 54 then, hopefully get it sorted in the next few days
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Surprised by some of the sizes people are riding, I'm 6ft2 and ride a 58 r5 with an 110 stem. I've long legs however. I'd get a bike fitter to put you on a Retul bike and simulate the geo, or something similar to make sure.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    What aout checking out the stack and reach and comparing with a bike you know?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • What aout checking out the stack and reach and comparing with a bike you know?

What he said. I'm 178cm, long arms & legs, and ride a 56cm R5. Could maybe get away with a 54 with a lot of saddle setback and a long stem- but 56 is a more natural fit.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    What aout checking out the stack and reach and comparing with a bike you know?

What he said. I'm 178cm, long arms & legs, and ride a 56cm R5. Could maybe get away with a 54 with a lot of saddle setback and a long stem- but 56 is a more natural fit.
    What size stem do you use?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • 54cm. I've been bike fitted twice in cervelo to 54. I'm 5'11"
  • What aout checking out the stack and reach and comparing with a bike you know?

What size stem do you use?

110mm, -25mm setback seatpost, compact bars, no headset spacers.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I'm 6ft, ride a 54 with 120mm stem
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen