Race refunds?

fcukwit
fcukwit Posts: 63
edited August 2014 in Amateur race
I have had to withdraw from a road race this coming weekend due to injury - First time I have ever done this, I contacted organiser this morning to inform them and asked if I would be refunded and received reply stating that I wouldn't as the start sheet had gone to BC. Fair enough, if there is not a policy on refunds, so be it I thought to myself. Then I wondered if this was usual, and why it might be when all of the races are over subscribed in this league anyway? There will be reserves aplenty for this race to fill that spot as there always are. Didn't know if anyone had experience of this and would say it is the norm?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    It's at the organiser's discretion. I will usually refund if a rider withdraws before the closing date or afterwards if I have a reserve to take their place. There are riders who enter everything early then drop out which is a pain especially as the online system no longer allows an automatic refund as it used to - you now have to pay the rider back with your own debit card which is a pain if the entry fee is getting paid directly to the club.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    If they've withdrawn the refund system that's a pain.

I use the same policy as the guy that does the op's race, once the start sheet is done levies are payable and in effect you've taken the place of someone that would have raced, even a reserve would be replaced with another reserve.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fcukwit
    fcukwit Posts: 63
    That's fair enough, I have seen the organisation that goes into a race, and wondered if it was a pain to do the refunds. Thanks for the explanations
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    As a former race organiser if someone contacted me before I had done the start sheet I would refund if it was after I wouldn't. The race organiser has to pay a levy to British Cycling (and in some cases also a local BC levy) for each rider on the start sheet whether they take the start or not.