Puncture on Marathon Plus (cue laughter?)

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
I thought it was impossible but my front tyre was flat as a pancake last night.

This perplexed me since the only reason I am riding around on 600g tyres is they are supposed to be puncture proof, or as near as tyres can be.

After feeling around the tyre at least ten times, there wasn't anything in the tyre or anywhere along the sidewalls.

The hole in the inner tube was in a ridiculous place (more on the inside of the inner tube than outside) and they are really light 65g inner tubes (rubber is thin) so maybe the rim itself punctured it?

Nothing actually went through the tyre. I wouldn't mind but those inner tubes were £6 a pop. :roll:

Used one of those Park Tool puncture repair patches, bloody hell they are good, miles better than the Decathlon repair kits. The Park Tools one is a lot more "gummy" and completely transparent meaning you can easily see if there's bubbles, really easy to fix. Once its on its like its part of the inner tube.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Manc33 wrote:
    I wouldn't mind but those inner tubes were £6 a pop.

And that's exactly what they did so why you complaining :lol:
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I thought it was the valve at first.

A puncture on the inside of the inner tube is more worrying than the outside.

Must have fixed 15-20 punctures in my lifetime and thats the first time ever not finding something sharp in the tyre.

It stayed pumped up all night and just tried it and its OK. Just have to see if it happens again and be more detective-like about what caused it.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    I had a couple of punctures on the inside due to rim tape shifting on the rim and the tube popping as it expanded into the spoke hole a few months back - made a bigger hole than a normal puncture. One of them blew dramatically while I was sat next to the bike drinking a cup of tea.
    Might be worth a check?
  • Check the inside of your rim, and the rim tape.

And repair your punctures properly. Glueless patches are good for getting out of trouble but solution and patches are much better.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You can get a decent tube for 3 quid these days. patching up old ones doesn't make sense anymore apart from a quick get you home patch.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Saving weight on your inner tubes seems a bit futile when the tyres are 600g each - maybe put normal butyl tubes in instead - they're usually only 40g or so more than your current lightweight ones. Good luck getting the M+ off the rims and back on again!