BIke fit question?

Carlos107
Carlos107 Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all i am looking into getting a bike fit done, i have done a bit of research and basically what ever type of bike fit you get, its all down to the man or women performing the fit as to how good it is so i have found.
My question to you all is . I live in Chester and want to get a bike fit done have you got any experience good or bad in the area so i can narrow down my search for a good bike fit. I don't mind traveling if it means getting a better job done.
Thanks

Carl

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Do it yourself?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This, loads of info on the internet.
  • Too bad you're not based in Ireland. Bike Fit Studio just launched recently and a lot of my friends have been giving it positive reviews from having their bikes fitted with the team. Looking at getting my own bike fitted soon :D

http://www.bikefitstudio.ie/
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Unless you have a long term injury or very specific needs have a read on the web and try doing it yourself first. That way at least if you do have a bike fit eventually you will have a better understanding of the process and what you want to get out of it.

To do it yourself best to start with the saddle first. Set the correct height and using something like KOPS as a starting point set the correct fore \ aft position of the saddle. The reach and drop to the bars are up to your riding style, from upright touring to low down racer. The pedals / shoes are where it can become more difficult but give it a go.

Good Luck :)
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    styxd wrote:
    Do it yourself?

Hmm, I did this - but since having a professional fit, I would agree with their diagnosis of a too-high and too far back saddle position. And the other things it confirmed (I had a Retul fit) was that my knees were travelling vertically so no need for any cleat wedges. I also had a physical assessment as part of the fit - the fitter is a registered physio too, as well as a competitive cyclist (who did this years etape), which showed me some areas I could address with respect to exercise off the bike. Not near Chester though, or I'd recommend him in a moment.
  • Rather than tell you what I think you should do, google, do it yourself, trial and error, get Lance round to impart his knowledge. I have decided to answer the question you asked without deciding what you really meant ( that may be a first here :D )

I used Pedal precision at Manchester velodrome which is close enough to you. Richard was great I felt I got a lot out of it but my caveat is that I haven't been to any others. He did however resolve my problems, helped me out with redoing the fit cheaply when bits of my bike were nicked and is an all round nice guy.

I am going to see him again to have my shiny new Felt Z4 fitted- so pleased am I with his work :D .

** Other bike fitters are available
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    Guy in the club I ride with highly recommends this guy:
    http://www.cheshirecustomcycles.co.uk/

Just on the edge of the Deeside industrial estate so easy riding distance from Chester