Gloves

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a new pair of gloves and there's several features I want
My old gloves were thin and while this was good the skin at the base of my fingers would get very sore

So I'm after full finger gloves that are not too bulky and have decent ventalation and wicking
I don't really want any protection on the knuckle or back of the hand but padding at the base of the fingers would be ideal

I've looked at the TLD XC glove and the Royal Quantum, anyone tried these or can recommend others?

Thanks

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Maybe look into hand cream petal :wink: Or you could do some manual labour for a while, then your hands would sort themseleves out.

Sorry, couldnt help myself. Erm I guess trial and error is needed, but go cheap as I end up replacing gloves quite often. Maybe its because I fall off too much
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I have two pairs of Royal gloves and both give me sweat rashes on the wrist and back of hand. Nice gloves otherwise though, but I just ride in my bare hands as in addition to the rash I find gloves also give me hand cramps from over gripping to compensate for the lack of "bar feel".
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Maybe look into hand cream petal :wink: Or you could do some manual labour for a while, then your hands would sort themseleves out.

We've all heard how you toughen your hands up :P
    ej2320 wrote:
    I've looked at the LTD XC glove and the Royal Quantum, anyone tried these or can recommend others?

I've got the Royal Quantum's and they're decent enough gloves, fairly light weight so the ventilation should be good but they don't offer too much in the way of protection.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My Royal gloves lasted about 10 rides before the stitching started coming apart. Guess it was just a duff pair.

Use a pair of Fox Dirt Paw for DH and a 661 (Raji?) for other stuff. Both seem fine
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've used various gloves over the years, my royals weren't great, my 661 Rajis lasted 5 minutes. I really like Fox gloves, seem to last pretty well though the cuff straps can be a bit fragile on some. I've just bought some of their ranger gloves and loving them so far, so much so I've ordered another pair!
  • Endura mt500
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    arran77 wrote:

I've heard its good for a sore throat as well.

This is all getting a bit cruddy, all though I'm sure EJ joesnt mind getting down and dirty - its why he needs gloves.
  • Fox Sidewinders...good 3 season gloves.
    Provide enough grip, protection and comfort for everything (except falling in rock gardens and -15 winter mornings).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    arran77 wrote:

This is all getting a bit cruddy, all though I'm sure EJ joesnt mind getting down and dirty - its why he needs gloves.

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    arran77 wrote:

Livens up the forum I suppose ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I hadn't been too keen on the 661 gloves anyway
    I'll take a look at Fox and Endura, the MT500 might be a good call

It would seem the Quantum won't offer that bit of padding I'm after
    (My current gloves are 100% ride something)
  • Mt 500 I went for after a lot of searching. Well made and just feel right.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    661 Comp for the summer. Very light, loads of feel, just about enough protection and very cool (circulation of air, not Fonzieesque!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    My preferred choice of gloves are TLD XC do everything you would expect of a lightweight XC glove, my others are 661 Rev's which are ok for light summer use and a pair of Fox Rangers which as as good as the TLD's just don't look as good.