Elite: Dangerous

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
Used to spend hours playing classic elite on the BBC micro in the late 80s and eventually got to elite status and did all the missions. A truly misspent youth. Found out today that the new latest all singing all dancing version is available in beta right now and will be commercially available soon...

http://www.elitedangerous.com/news/

Is anyone else excited by this?

Comments

• I can't say i'm familiar with the game, was is it?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    This was supposed to come out about 3 years ago but it was having coding issues. I hope it remains loyal to the original and isnt another Eve Online clone
  • Mikey23
    Followed a couple of youtube vids and all the features are there plus loads more, seemed very like the old wire framed stuff but the graphics are gorgeous.. Was always amazed what bell and braben crammed into 32 k of memory!
  • Mikey23
    @mm .., galaxy wide space trading and combat game, the object being to go from mostly harmless to elite .. Which was flipping difficult and took me months. Completely open ended, many ways to play the game, GTA took a lot of its ideas. Tame by modern standards but done on a bbc micro in 1987 with 32 k memory and was so radical and innovative in its day that it took the computing world by storm. I think the new version will do the same because even the beta looks staggeringly good...
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I've already pledged for Star Citizen and I don't want to spend £50 on basically the same thing. Looks good though.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Mikey23
    two similar games at the same time... annoying or what but both do look exceptional. Elite dangerous will retail at £35 and is based in cambridge headed by the excellent david braben.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I never got beyond mostly harmless....!
  • Mikey23
    Was ok when i could afford a docking computer... Really frustrating to have a good trip, kill loads of pirates and crash into the space station and die
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Mikey23

It's 2014. Let it go!
  • Mikey23
    Ive got the beta now and its truly amazing... Like most games its way too tricky for me though
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Never in a million years would I have taken Mikey23 to be a gamer.

Who's up for a quick game of this?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    I like something a little cerebral :-)
  • pinno
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I like something a little cerebral :-)

Then GTA San Andreas and Vice City is right up your street.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    save your credits earthlings...
    get Oolite - free, open source & LOTS of add-ons & customisation 8)
    http://www.oolite.org/
    Cycling weakly
  • Mikey23
    I have oolite thanks and pretty good it is too. Managed to get myself a docking computer now but still mostly harmless...
  • pinno
    My mate had an Oolite, he had to get it removed.
  • Mikey23
    675 currently online on the elite dangerous forums, around 500 here... Just saying
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I never got beyond mostly harmless....!

Yes, I've read your Interpol file :lol:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”