Clip on Mud Guards

Chogger
Chogger Posts: 62
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I'm looking to buy some clip on mudguards. I currently ride a felt f95 with 23mm tyres but I am going to put some 25mm on when the winter comes around. Can anyone recommend me a good set of clip on mudguards that will allow me to be able to do this?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    sks raceblades.
    I have them on my Felt F85 training bike. Simple to fit and they work fine. Although you do only get partial coverage.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-race-blade- ... guard-set/

They also do the raceblade long which is more like a traditional mudguard but a bit more fiddly to fit.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-race-blade- ... guard-set/
  • Chogger
    Cheers I will look them up
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I switched from the Raceblades to the Raceblade Long this winter past. I found that the long version is a much more solid fit due to the attachments you fix to the skewer and caliper (You can leave these attachments on all winter and simply remove the mudguards when its dry)

Due to the length they keep you clean and dry really well. SKS are a decent company too, they will normally send out spare parts for free if you email them
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Another vote for Race blades.
    As I'm too tight to pay for the long version, here's a quick copy/paste of what I posted in another thread
    EDIT: I see from the links, that the long version is now cheaper than the std items

I use the SKS Race blades, which come off in seconds, in combination with the forward section of a broken full guard (which stays on permanently, and is quite unobtrusive)
    There's just enough under the caliper to overlap the Raceblade, so its kept clean in the worst weather

output_zpsrldyzczp.jpg
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Another thumbs up for SKS race blades. I tried the crud guards last year but whilst they work, my bike rattled alot and eventually the tail section fell off without me noticing. They really are Heath Robinson defined! SKS are a much more robust feeling solution.

Peter
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Do you want them for club rides and don't want to soak your fellow riders or is it more just to keep you dry?

If its the latter try http://ass-savers.com/collections/all

Works for me.
  • Chogger
    Currently just to keep me dry so the ass saver looks a pretty good option at the minute, the eventual plan is to turn the felt into my winter/wet weather training/commuting bike and upgrade to a new bike next summer for summer/dry weather
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Thing is about ass savers, a decent front mudguard will not only help reduce volume of water dumped onto your feet and legs, but will also help greatly in reducing the volume of cr*p chucked onto the drivetrain. Won't keep any of them dry, but I reckon it makes quite a difference and worth doing.

Peter
  • Resurrecting this as I have the same issue. My bike has direct mount calipers so I'll probably have to go with the race blades, just wondered what the 'censored' website is so I can take a look at those as well?
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    edited November 2020
    a s s -savers.com without the spaces
  • ok thanks!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited November 2020
    Race blades XL on my commuter with 28mm tyres
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I have an arris saver I got free at some random expo. One of these, a washing machine and job done.
  • I have an arris saver I got free at some random expo. One of these, a washing machine and job done.

Same here. Good as gold.