Di2 help

rudivoller22
rudivoller22 Posts: 492
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

Mate of mine had an incident with his Felt F1 coming off roof rack recently and had to go through insurance. Long story short they have agreed to replace his frame but it is currently unavailable in UK so they have agreed to upgrade it to the Felt F FRD frameset, but this is electronic groupset only meaning the Sram Force 22 currently on his bike will obviously not transfer over. So basically my question is, where is the cheapest place to pick up an Ultegra di2 groupset? Anyone aware of any deals? Or in his position would you go back to insurance and try and get a different frame? The Force 22 is only about 3 months old with a few hundred miles on it so frustrating it would need to be replaced.

Thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Merline, PBK, CRC and Ribble all have it for under £1000. The only way to save money piecing it together is to buy a 6770 front mech or find some used components.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Offering a completely different Felt is not really any different to getting offered a different make and model. I'd find another frame I wanted that is of the same value as the F1 and then propose this as an alternative. As long as it is cheaper than the F FRD by a little then the insurance company will probably agree and pay for it. Just explain to them the incompatibility with all the gear being saved from the damaged bike to back up the logic.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Isn't the FRD a £4k frameset? I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    It's at least £1k more than an f1 frameset. I'd be biting their arm off.
  • My advice to him was much the same, its much better than the F1 so bite their hand off. His main issue is that having only recently shelled out for the F1, groupseret, finishing kit etc and some Zipps, he is reluctant to shell out another grand on di2 and may be left without a bike at all until he can sort it out. Having said that I would still take it!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My advice to him was much the same, its much better than the F1 so bite their hand off. His main issue is that having only recently shelled out for the F1, groupset, finishing kit etc and some Zipps, he is reluctant to shell out another grand on di2 and may be left without a bike at all until he can sort it out. Having said that I would still take it!

I would use the Force 22 cogs (if they work with the FRD frame bottom bracket) and buy the Di2 upgrade kit rather than the full groupset. This will give you the best of all worlds and the Force cogs are way nicer than the Ultegras.

You should get this kit for around £600 and can then sell your Force shifters and mechs to offset some of this cost. I would expect the final bill will be around £350-400.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • I would use the Force 22 cogs (if they work with the FRD frame bottom bracket) and buy the Di2 upgrade kit rather than the full groupset. This will give you the best of all worlds and the Force cogs are way nicer than the Ultegras.

You should get this kit for around £600 and can then sell your Force shifters and mechs to offset some of this cost. I would expect the final bill will be around £350-400.[/quote]

Any idea where you can pick up the upgrade kit for £600? Seems like a decent option.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Have a chat with Merlin. They build up their kits to suit and they may delete the cogs and callipers. They have sold kits like this in the past but don't list them currently.

Alternatively you can get pretty close to that figure by buying the individual components. Tweeks Cycling have most in stock and are very helpful. Ring them to see if they will do a package deal.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Cheers will have a look.