Transporting kids

andrewc3142
andrewc3142 Posts: 906
edited January 2015 in Family & kids cycling forum
A subject that comes up quite regularly, so thought I'd share what we've found works best.

For pre-school, the trailer is the preferred option where possible. We got the Croozer single and it's worked well for days out, touring, and also my wife uses it for running. Good value, but the standard tyres are made of cheese so unless you enjoy fixing punctures every couple of weeks, highly recommend replacing with Marathons.

However, the trailer doesn't work so well for the nursery run, which has a couple of narrow/tricky obstacles of the type commonly added to cycle paths for reasons best known to the planners. Also, it's too big to take shopping.

So, a bike mounted seat is also needed. We used to use a Hamax Sleepy mounted to my wife's Pashley. However, this is a mega-heavy bike and any sort of incline is hard work. Plus, once the kid gets to about 3 the seat bounces around rather alarmingly (albeit I'm sure it's quite secure really).

Our solution was to put a Steco rack (the one specially for child seats) on to my wife's MTB (set up more or less as a hybrid), with a Yepp Maxi seat, which clips straight onto the rack. Great seat - very stable, well made, comfortable, easy to clean. Mounting/removing is less than a minute. Without the seat the rack takes panniers. The only problem we found was the struts to the seat post were too short for an MTB so we got some sturdy longer ones from SJS.

When the youngest gets to about 5 we'll get the Yepp Junior, which also clips straight onto the rack. At that age probably won't be used as often, but good to have for the school run.

There is an EasyFix adapter for Yepp seats without a Steco rack (or one of the Dutch bikes that have them fitted). But (and it's a huge but), I felt very uncomfortable fitting to a rack not designed for the purpose. The rack was only about £35 in any case.

If we'd found Yepp seats earlier, we would have got one of the front mounted ones for when the kids were very small.

When they get to about 6 a tandem makes a great taxi, and also for days out. Much better in my view than a tag-along and provides them with a good introduction to riding on the road. We got an Orbit Libra, which adjusts down small enough for a kid, but will also fit my wife, and didn't break the bank. We used it a lot with the 2 older kids, currently often to pull the Croozer.

And that's it. Except to add that for family touring if one adult pulls the trailer, the best solution we've found for taking the rest of the luggage is an Extra Wheel. Basically, as the name suggests, a wheel that clips on the rear axle and takes 2 big panniers. Excellent value compared to cargo trailers and works really well, also for shopping.

Comments

• ViperS15
    ViperS15 Posts: 61
    That's a nice summary! Interesting to hear your differences between trailer or seat.

One thing I would say though is the Yepp seems expensive for what you get. There's no suspension so when it's fitted to the rack it can be quite a harsh ride! Also the lack of reclining is a bit disappointing too.

We have the Caress from Hamax that will fit to any rack, but for a similar price to the Yepp ( I think actually cheaper? ) you do get quite a few extra comfort benefits. A bit easier to put a wriggly kid into it as well!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ham ... r-ec060186

I haven't heard of that Steco rack before though, what are the benefits over a normal heavy load carrying rack?
  • Thanks.

For the Yepp it paid to shop around. We got ours from discountcycleshop for £64.99.

I did wonder about it not having suspension, going straight on the rack, but the seat itself "gives" and there haven't been any passenger complaints, even on light forest trails.

He's a strapping 3 year old, though. For smaller kids I'd use the mini, front-mounted, version, or a Hamax.

The Steco rack specifically stated it was made to take child carriers and for Yepp seats it has the EasyFit built in, so no need for the adapter (which comes with the seat).

My concern was that normal racks are designed to carry the same weight, ie about 35kg, but presumably not all on the top. There was a post a while back on the CTC forum about a Tubus rack that collapsed with a child seat on. Tubus' response was that no way should you put a child seat on since they weren't designed for that.

BTW That's absolutely not to knock Tubus racks, which we use for touring and think are brilliant.

In any case, without the seat it's a strong general purpose rack that looks OK, in a utilitarian kind of way, and isn't too expensive.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    We've got a hamax siesta seat and burley d_lite trailer. My partner has been using the seat for a year since our boy was able to self support. I've just got a second bracket and started using it. Based on first impressions I'd say I'd prefer using trailers. I'm a tall guy with an xxxl or xxl framed hybrid bike. The child seat and child makes for a higher centre of gravity which I find disconcerting. Guess I'll get used to it.
    I've used the trailer for almost 11 months now. Not often but enough to notice the biggest fear I had about trailers wasn't much of an issue. I've noticed cars give me and trailer a lot wider berth than me on a bike even if I have a child on a rear a seat. It's uncanny how that happens. It's better stability of your bike and how it doesn't affect handling much other than more drag due to the weight you're pulling.

Our burley coped with a rough track but the trailer was empty. Even with suspension it's best kept on a road or easy track. The siesta child seat had our boy in it on the same track, which we had to walk pushing our bike. The suspension from the two bars really worked well. However in normal use it does move around and bounces a bit too much.

BTW we have an older child seat, one of the brands sold in halfords, and it's not a good one in use. There's a big difference between different child seats and you really need to see first hand a few different ones before buying one.
  • ViperS15 wrote:
    That's a nice summary! Interesting to hear your differences between trailer or seat.

One thing I would say though is the Yepp seems expensive for what you get. There's no suspension so when it's fitted to the rack it can be quite a harsh ride! Also the lack of reclining is a bit disappointing too.

We have the Caress from Hamax that will fit to any rack, but for a similar price to the Yepp ( I think actually cheaper? ) you do get quite a few extra comfort benefits. A bit easier to put a wriggly kid into it as well!

I haven't heard of that Steco rack before though, what are the benefits over a normal heavy load carrying rack?

Hi. Can I ask which rear rack you're mounting your Caress on to? I've just tried to mount it on a Tortec Tour rack and it fits, but only just, due to the way the rack is welded together at the top. I'm looking for an alternative rear rack to put my mind at rest.

Cheers,

Ben
  • Hi Ben

I'd be amazed if the Caress doesn't fit on a Steco Safety Rack, £39 from http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/

If you're unsure, just give them a call. Seem a friendly bunch.
  • Sahie
    Sahie Posts: 1
    ViperS15 wrote:

I'm another one who's come here thanks to Google while searching for info on the Hamax Caress. We can't seem to figure out how it mounts to the rack. Is it just the clips at the side that hold it in place? What stops it from sliding forwards or backwards during the ride?

Also, thanks for the great review, OP. It's given us a lot to consider, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of reviews on child bike seats out there. I was saying to my husband that I guess most people just go into a shop and buy whatever is there and in their price range whereas we tend to research endlessly before purchasing!
  • Hi Sahie. The Hamax Caress rack-mounted seat has a very tight grip and it doesn't slide around at all in motion. Also, as a precaution there's a strap that secures the rack mount to the frame (round the seat post) so even if the grip of the clamp did loosen it wouldn't slide off.
  • As above, the rack mount for the Caress grips a rack like a vice and the strap gives it another level of being secured. The handle works on a ratchet style system so you have to push in and twist to tighten or release it so it won't work itself loose while riding.

I've had one fitted to a Tortec Tour before so I do know what you mean. The third support leg does get in the way a bit. If you like Tortec then you could look at the Tour Ultralite as that doesn't seem to have the support leg that causes the clash.
  • Hi Viper/all.

I ended up mounting it on a Topeak Super Tourist DX Bike Rack - really good fit and a decent rack too. Enough room for panniers at the same time as the seat.