Revelations RCT3 vs Pike RCT3

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
OK - been offered a pair of new and unused Revelations, had been looking at a set of Pikes for the Bronson - Revs are potentially up for grabs at a fair saving over retail and a few hundred dollars less than Pikes.

Anyone care to give me an honest opinion on the differences between the two aside a little weight and a little stiffness?

I am not a heavy rider and cant say I notice flex in forks that much although my Recon's vs my Fox 34's are beginning to show up the difference in stiffness. The difference in price vs the difference in fork.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Both are great, are way better in every way other than weight. Also look at the Pike RCs. I would say they are as good damping as the Revs (still a charger damper, just with less twiddling) and only 380 Euro right now, so you may find some bargains in Canada too. For whistler a Pike seems like the only choice.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If the Rev's are the 2014 RCT3's and you're not worried about flex (I'm over 100kg and they were fine for me) then I would go for the Rev's. The Pike's are better but not by that much and they are heavier even if only by a smallish amount. Although it does depend on the price difference, if it was under £100 and you had that money to spend then I'd go for the Pike's, any more and it starts to get a bit harder to justify the Pike's on damping alone. It's mostly on really fast constant medium bumps that the difference in damping shows up but that's not to say the Rev's aren't still great. They still ride nice and high in their travel and use their travel effectively. The Pike's do deal with small bumps better as well.

Bear in mind I'm comparing 140mm Rev's to 160mm Pike so that can skew things a bit.
  • paul.skibum
    I can get the Pikes for $700 and the Revs for maybe 400 - don't have a pile of cash sitting around for the pikes and might ultimately end up waiting for the spring to get them but if the Revs are on for 400 then I could afford it. I am only 70kg and not a brutal rider - more finesse I'd like to think.

I just read a review comparing the Rev to a Float 34 CTD FIT and it compared favourably albeit that they suggested for rougher terrain the Float stood up better.

I guess the decision making is - buy the Revs now and maybe upgrade to Pikes later or stick with the Floats and upgrade to the Pikes later? Do I hate the Floats enough to try something different even if not the ideal just to be shot of them - in this case the Revs are almost certainly better than the Evo Floats in all ways but ultimate stiffness.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have the RCT3 Revs. Damping is a bit crude, rather harsh unless you wind off all compression damping but then it blows through travel. Flex isn't too bad and weight is good.
    They possibly feel a little worse to me because the only other forks I have to compare them to are my custom tuned BoXXer R2C2.
  • If I was you I would stick with the floats for now and wait until you have the cash for the pikes. Otherwise you are throwing money away IMHO.
  • paul.skibum
    A fella is selling a brand new 160mm Pike for a good price - very tempted, spoke to a couple of people running 160's in Whistler and say they work well - I can save money later right.....
  • i run the pikes they are brilliant from what i hear the better fork ad the now compresion adjustale modles were fitted to many 2014 and it seem lots of 2015 bikes 160mm

merlin were doing the rc3 version for £460 odd recently !!!!!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    A fella is selling a brand new 160mm Pike for a good price - very tempted, spoke to a couple of people running 160's in Whistler and say they work well - I can save money later right.....

Go for it! That bike and terrain deserve a decent fork!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum

Go for it! That bike and terrain deserve a decent fork!

I am checking them out tomorrow morning (today actually as I check the clock) and hoping to sell my old Big Hit at the weekend to pay for them!