Is this tyre still OK?

fwgx
fwgx Posts: 114
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi, I was out yesterday and managed to do this to my rear tyre, causing a puncture. Should I be looking at replacing the tyre, or is it still OK for now?
I guess it's about 5-6mm in length
tyre-sm.jpg

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The tyre was in need of replacement even before the gash, can you not see it's completely worn and squared? :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • lol that one doesn't look like it owes you much how many miles did you get out of it? remarkable is hasn't been puncturing "flat out"!
  • fwgx
    Not sure exactly how many miles, I commute on it 2 miles each way, but not when it's wet (I have a fully kitted out hybrid for that). Around 1500 miles I guess.

TO me it doesn't look like it has much less tred than this: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-Durano ... _51824.htm

Sounds like it needs to go, so I'll pop in to the shop today
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    That tyre looks as though it was worn out about 3,000 miles ago - surprised the inner tube isn't showing at the centre!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    fwgx wrote:
    ...TO me it doesn't look like it has much less tred than this: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-Durano ... 1824.htm...

It's not the lack of tread that's the problem, more how much rubber is left. The tyre would have had a nice round profile when new, and visibly squared off like yours when the central contact strip wears down. Next stage is increasingly frequent punctures, and an increasing likelihood that one will be terminal, as yours probably is.

What tyre is it? 1500 miles doesn't sound like much to me, but it does look well worn.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    Looks like a kids tyre when they've been doing skids in the playground
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fwgx
    I think the lighting makes it look worse than it is, but I went and replaced them. They were Felt tyres that came with the bike.

old-tyre.jpg

new-tyre.jpg

new-tyre-2.jpg

And this is what happened... Looks like it caused the puncture repair to pop out of the carcass of the tyre
    puncture.jpg