Cervelo S1

mattbarnes
mattbarnes Posts: 295
edited August 2014 in Your road bikes
My first real serious foray into the world of road bikes having spent my previous life in the mud. I had a Trek (1.2) many moons ago but this seems to be in a different league. Yeah, it maybe 4(!) years old now - some may say ancient by today's standards - and may not be made of carbon but I find it stiff, responsive and more forgiving on my knackered body than something made of the black stuff which has all the compliance of an upturned paving slab.

p4pb11243998.jpg
p4pb11244000.jpg
p4pb11244001.jpg

Frame: Cervelo S1
Forks: 3T Funda
Bars: Ricthey Evo Curve
Stem: Ritchey 4Axis 110mm
Headset: FSA
Bar Tape: DEDA

Front Brake Lever: SRAM Rival
Front Caliper: Planet X Ultra Light
Rear Brake Lever: SRAM Rival
Rear Caliper: Planet X Ultra Light

Shifters: SRAM Rival
Cables: Jagwire
Front Mech: SRAM Rival
Rear Mech: SRAM ival

Seat: Specialized Romin 143
Seat Post: Cervelo
Seat Post Clamp: Cervelo

Cranks: Rotor 3D
Chainring(s): FSA 50/34
Chain: KMC X10
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Sp 12-30
Pedals: Exustar
Bottom Bracket: Hope Road

Front Wheel: Superstar Components Volta
Rim: Alex rim
Spokes: 20
Hub: Volta
Tube: Continental Race
Tire: Mitchelin Lithion 2

Rear Wheel: Superstar Components Volta
Rim: Alex rim
Spokes: 24
Hub: Volta
Tube: Continental Race
Tire: Mitchelin Lithion 2

Accessories: Elite bottle cages, Garmin mount, KCNC skewers

Weight: 7.6kg
Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    4 years old!
    That looks mint!

very nice
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    4 years old!
    That looks mint!

very nice
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    That really does look well ..... As long as we enjoy it then it's not important what we ride is it? :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Looks better than a lot of current bikes mate!
    How did you find dealing with Superstar, service and performance wise?
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Not a massive fan of Cervelo but that does look well.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Just for reference aluminium is quite often harsher than a similar carbon frame. An endurance carbon frame can be very comfortable! Nice bike anyway :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    Timeless Classic and looks in fantastic condition.
    I like Cervelo's but never hear great reports about how comfortable the S1 is to ride ?
  • mattbarnes
    Thanks all. I like it and it's a bit of a change from the usual offerings from the 'bigger' names. They certainly aren't a common sight around my local routes.
    IrishMac wrote:

I had a little bit of experience with Superstar in my MTB days but never bought anything as major as wheels from them. I contacted them before buying with a few queries and found them to be polite, informative and helpful and, as for the wheels, they're spot on. I have no doubt that they'll be something else rebranded under the Superstar name but I've never had any issues with them. They're light (for 38mm alloy rims), tough and spin up well.
    That said, I did snap a spoke the other week and Superstar offer a lengthy warranty and lifetime truing service so if there is anything wrong with them, they can be sent back. Admittedly, I just fixed the spoke myself as it only cost me a couple of quid, unlike the postage to send them back to Superstar which would have been closer to £20.
    Overall, I can't fault them so far.
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • mattbarnes
    Lifeboy123 wrote:
    Timeless Classic and looks in fantastic condition.
    I like Cervelo's but never hear great reports about how comfortable the S1 is to ride ?

Yeah, I read a few reviews about the S1's lack of comfort but having come from a carbon-framed Focus Raven hardtail MTB which would pound my arms, back, neck etc I'm happy to call the S1 comfortable! I realise this isn't really a fair comparison as the bikes are completely different but I'm definately favouring the feel of alloy at the moment. Until I can afford an S3, of course, and then I'm sure my opinion will change :wink: .
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    mattbarnes that is one very nice bike....enjoy... :D
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Really nice bike!!
  • there's nowt wrong with a good Aluminium bike.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    smiley. nice one!
  • Superb machines, yours is a particularly nice example, enjoy.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    @mattbarnes - Cheers, I'm glad to hear that , I've been fawning over them for awhile, seem really good value for money. Think I might wait until they put pics up before I decide on which ones to go for :D
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    mattbarnes wrote:
    Thanks all. I like it and it's a bit of a change from the usual offerings from the 'bigger' names. They certainly aren't a common sight around my local routes.
    IrishMac wrote:

I had a little bit of experience with Superstar in my MTB days but never bought anything as major as wheels from them. I contacted them before buying with a few queries and found them to be polite, informative and helpful and, as for the wheels, they're spot on. I have no doubt that they'll be something else rebranded under the Superstar name but I've never had any issues with them. They're light (for 38mm alloy rims), tough and spin up well.
    That said, I did snap a spoke the other week and Superstar offer a lengthy warranty and lifetime truing service so if there is anything wrong with them, they can be sent back. Admittedly, I just fixed the spoke myself as it only cost me a couple of quid, unlike the postage to send them back to Superstar which would have been closer to £20.
    Overall, I can't fault them so far.

Superstar got a really good write up in a recent group wheelset test in Cycling Plus (ok I know that this needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt). Been looking at them myself but for ally clinchers and the Pave 28 at £164.99 for under 1700g looks like blinding value. Sounds like should get off bum and do something about it.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • Loving the understated logo's
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mattbarnes
    Thanks everyone.

I did a 140km ride on it yesterday and it felt comfortable for the entire journey. It never missed a beat and I'm more then happy with it.

As for the Superstar wheels, having now put around 1000 miles through them in 'real world' conditions and I can more than recommend them. The roads here in Northumberland are like ploughed fields in places with a few potholes to catch you out (hence the reason I don't use super light tyres) but despite a few accidental clatterings they just keep on going and have stayed straight and true. Anyone considering them should definitely give them a go.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Hi Matt,
    Great to see my old frameset in such good hands. You've done her proud. I really miss it seeing it built up again.
    Must say, love my r3 replacement though.
    Have fun,
    Mark
  • mattbarnes
    The condition of the frame is a credit to its former owner!

Rest assured it's in good hands and I'm glad you feel I've done your former ride justice.