Sizing advice please

Ashley1970
Ashley1970 Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I registered here as I'm thinking of buying a beginners/mid level bike and I'm confused with the frame and wheel sizing.

I have investigated the sizing and understand that MTB frame sizing is different to what I'm used to in that a BMX frame size is top tube length whereas an MTB is from pedals to seat post. I'm looking at two sizes of bike. I am 6 feet tall with a 28 to 29 inch inside leg.

The confusion for me lies in that 29ers seem to come in a maximum size of 19 inch whereas a 26" rimmed bike has a maximum of 21.5 inches.

Am I correct in that a 29er with a 19" frame size OR a 26er with a 21.5 inch frame size is where I need to be??

Further to this I've asked a cyclist colleague what he thinks and he says a 29er but cannot explain to me why. To make this a more difficult decision I used to own a GT Aggressor a few years back, which I loved, and this was at a time when the 29er didn't exist!!!!

Can anyone help please? I'm looking at the whistle bikes range as I believe the components on these are OK and I LOVE the designs....

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off have a read of this:

viewtopic.php?t=12566711

Wheel size has no bearing on frame size, and top tube length is very important.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    My advice would be to test them first, I didn't like the 29er I tried despite being told they'd be perfect for me.

As for frame size it is measured at the seat post but 2 different 20" bikes could fit very differently, as I'm sure you are aware effective top tube length is just as important if not more so.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BMX has got their frame sizing right, MTB haven't!

As stated, wheel size doesn't change the frame size you need, and you can get much smaller 29ers than 19", a member if my club rides a 15".

At the end of the day it's what fits you, but I would suggest a medium as your legs are on the short side for your height, that will mean shorter arms affecting your reach so you need a shorter frame than if you had slightly longer legs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.