Changing Crank set, need some advice.

cjpowl6818
cjpowl6818 Posts: 17
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a chance to buy a shimano deore 9 speed FC-M590 crank and it has 26/36/48 chain rings and my bike has 22/32/44 chain rings. will I have to change my chain out to run this crank and will it work with the cassette that is on my bike. I have a 2005 Jeckyll with a truvative isoflow 9 speed crank.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes and yes. But you may have to do something with your front mech. Those would be considered trekking ratios and that's a big ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You might also need a new BB.

Lack of info reduces any further comment.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I am a complete newbie at this and it has been 30 + years since riding, I got electrocuted a at my shop welding last year and it put me down for 6 months and I got way out of shape from not being able to do anything, I am down 15 pounds from riding so far and want to lose more. I have really gotten back into riding and I want to upgrade the components, so far I have upgraded the brakes and shifters and want to do the crank next. below is what came on the bike when it was built. I am thinking it would just be easier to just replace the crank with the same size chain rings 22/32/44 I have heard that most BB's for the Jekyll are the same size which is 68 and 113, the 590 crank comes with the bottom bracket and it says BB51 shell width 68 will I have any problems using this BB with the Shimano deore M.590
    2005 Cannondale Jekyll
    Fork Manitou Splice Super 100/130 w/ RTWD
    Rear Shock Fox Float RL Pro Pedal
    Rims Sun Black Eye Disc, 32 hole
    Hubs Cannondale Fire Disc
    Spokes DT Champion
    Tires IRC Serac XC, 26 x 2.1"
    Pedals Wellgo alloy cage w/clip and strap
    Crank TruVatiV IsoFlow, 22/32/44
    Chain Shimano 9-speed
    Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950, 11-34
    Bottom Bracket Shimano 4-taper
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-7
    Shifters SRAM X-7 Trigger
    Handlebars Cannondale Earth, 15 mm rise
    Stem Cannondale 3-D Forged
    Headset FSA Converter
    Brakeset Avid BB5 Disc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's the right BB for the cranks, you'll need 3 spacers to fit into your frame (2 drive side, one non drive side).

Best to get the frame faced before it is fitted as well.

Personally I wouldn't use those chainwheels unless you only ride on the road, too tall gearing, you could swap on the rings off your current crankset.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Yes and yes. But you may have to do something with your front mech. Those would be considered trekking ratios and that's a big ring.

I went a head and got the new crank set FC-M590 26/36.48 and also bought the BB51 Bottom Bracket, All Jekylls require a standard "bottom-pull" type front derailleur with a
    31.8mm clamp diameter.
    Because the front derailleur mounts to the swingarm, and has a limited
    range of vertical adjustment, some derailleur designs (like Shimano
    "Top Swing") are not compatible.

My ? is , I should just be able to raise the front Derailleur a little bit to make it fit the new crank right.
    I live in the country and nothing but flat country roads around me, so no trails just road riding.
    I take it trekking is on roads and long distance ?. forgive me for being a newbie.