Be aware seat bolts

scoobygoodwin
scoobygoodwin Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, The seat bolts on my boardman pro 29er have snapped .
I purchased my bike off ebay still in the box unused about three months ago.
After about three hundred miles the front of the two seat bolts holding the seat to the stem snapped
about three miles from home. I pushed the bike home and replaced the rear bolt with the front one and
fitted a shorter bolt in the rear because it was the only bolt I had.
To day I was about ten miles away from the campsite where I am staying in la roche belgium and the front
bolt snapped.
I carry spare bolts just in case so a was ok to fix it but when the bolt snapped it made me swerve and
I was nearly in a collision with a car.

Hope this post help some one, stay safe. :?

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Wow, sounds like a scary thing to happen! I've never sheared a seat post bolt in my life, and I give my bikes hell. Might be time to buy a better made post rather than carrying spare bolts for the chance of it happening again.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How tight were they? Over torquing bolts working in tension can cause failure.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    More like be aware of people with tools. And not the ability to use them.

Sorry sounds like poor set up or poor adjustment by the user.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    My bolts say something like 12nm but I never do them up that high, just doesn't feel like there's a need to and they are super tight (seat ain't going anywhere) at 8nm.
  • Same thing happened to me on a 2011 ht pro. Luckily not far from home .Halfords replaced . No probs on my current Boardman .note I certainly hadn't screwed up adjustment. Take it into Halfords don't say it was an ebay purchase and with any luck they will replace , in my case they swapped for one off demo bike without quibbling.