cleat plate

veterangaz
veterangaz Posts: 79
edited August 2014 in Workshop
stupidly over tightened my cleats as the kept coming loose and now the bolts will not screw in as I guess I have burred the holes or something. I have standard 3 bolt shoes for spd pedals, any idea where to get to get cleat plates so I can try and fit new ones as the shoes are not that old!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    My guess is that you have stripped the threads inside the shoes... which for most shoes is terminal
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yeah it is in the shoes themselves, I thought it may be possible to replace the plate internally?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Only in some shoes, where you can access it from inside the shoe. If you have carbon soles, the metal has carbon moulded around... wouldn't know how to do the job... not impossible, but difficult and then requiring epoxy resin to rebind them together
  • Oh dear. What a stupid and expensive mistake, only 6 month old shoes!
  • ugo.santalucia
    veterangaz wrote:
    Oh dear. What a stupid and expensive mistake, only 6 month old shoes!

If they are expensive shoes it's worth contacting the manufacturer, maybe they can be fixed
  • May be an option to get M6 rather than M5 screws and tap the damaged holes out to M6, guessing you are talking dome head screws and not countersunk?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-M8-M ... 2626wt_952
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Which brand of shoes are they? You should be able to cut open the layer above the sole from inside the shoe and replace the threaded parts.
  • Yeah you should be able to get into them. If you can the first option would be to try and either re tap for a bigger bolt or fit a heli coil.

Failing that you could buy a Shimano SPD plate which are easy to get hold of and cut it to size. This is what I did recently and using a dremell it's really quite easy
  • To go back to the start first, take the insole out and have a look inside the shoe. Hopefully there should be the outline of a 'hatch' that you can lift using a knife or small screwdriver. The hardware will be underneath that
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Actually I'm amazed that you had to do the screws up that tight in the first place - I've never in 30 years managed to strip a thread on a bike or in a shoe. I would recommend in your case that you get a torque key or wrench (maybe one of the Ritchey 5Nm keys) to prevent a repeat. I use 6Nm on my shoes (cleat bolts) but I would expect 5 would be sufficient. Note that the tension in the screw will "relax" a bit after first tightening, so I usually re-torque a few hours after first fitting cleats - but ONLY once. After that I leave them alone.
  • It could have been cross threaded and not over tightened. Or possibly a suspect thread. I was using a 5nm key when mine stripped so it must have been a dodgy bolt or cleat plate in my case.