Inconsistency in winner of comm games rr (spoilers)

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited August 2014 in Pro race
When interviewed after the race Thomas said he felt really bad at the start and was even'thinking about climbing off'

However he then said 'when Pete went I was going to go with him' - the only thing that stopped him was that he fumbled his bottles - which in itself seems a bit non - pro - why would you be drinking so early in the race? Did he not know he felt bad straight away?

I get the impression a plan was made before the race - and when Kennaugh was looking round it was to see why the bottle fumbling 'G' had not stuck to it?

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Funnily enough I had exactly the same thought when he mentioned that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,747
    What is the suggestion - get rid of the opposition by sending him on a suicide mission so there's no repeat of what he did to Swift in the nationals ? Perhaps this might work on Quintana next year.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,870
    I thought he said after a few laps he started feeling better and hoped to bridge to PK or something along those lines. It's often difficult to make sense of an athletes comments when they are interviewed immediately after finishing and probably haven't even got their thoughts together in their heads. When he was being interviewed my main thought was 'let the bloke at least dry off and get some warm clothes on first', it's not like someone who has just done a 10 second sprint. When did this requirement for immediacy start?
  • Cavendish is pretty much in with both - to put PK out to dry ( or get wet in this case) seemed odd.
  • When interviewed after the race Thomas said he felt really bad at the start and was even'thinking about climbing off'

However he then said 'when Pete went I was going to go with him' - the only thing that stopped him was that he fumbled his bottles - which in itself seems a bit non - pro - why would you be drinking so early in the race? Did he not know he felt bad straight away?

I get the impression a plan was made before the race - and when Kennaugh was looking round it was to see why the bottle fumbling 'G' had not stuck to it?
    In the highlights just after PK had attacked, G was attacking up right of road just before a corner but slowed as he went bottle fumbling. I think he hit a bump and bidon was bouncing out & in trying to stop it he lost his momentum.
    Sounded to me like pre-race double attack plan.