fox fork CSU creaking

lesz42
lesz42 Posts: 690
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
have a float 120mm fork,, and has a bit of a creak in right leg, common issue, and going to use some Loctite 290 that may reduce or stop the creak.

but the question is, that i have read that the top caps on each side of the crown, also help to keep in place the stanchions? do they thread and tighten in the crown or the stanchion itself ?
Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5

Comments

• Speak to mojo, it's a warranty issue.....
  • lesz42
    its a 2008 fork, but cost of diy service ( easy tbh) is about £195 all in, so...

just working out the build of the crown interface
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • So a DIY service is going to cost you more than the price of a mojo full service, where they will replace the csu for a new one and just charge you a full service price?

However if you insist, yes the top caps screw into the tops of the stanchions, correct torque figures are essential
  • lesz42
    "Yes the crown should be safe, we have not had a creaking crown fail. A new crown steerer unit is £168.00 - £245.00 depending on what option you would like to go for, we will then have to charge £108.00 for a full service to fit the crown steerer."

diy service £195 vs £276 ........... i am sure mine is cheaper