Novice cleat question

AshW92
AshW92 Posts: 67
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Okay so i've been riding a road bike for about 9 months now, predominantly a mountain biker but it's good for commuting/getting fit, currently running Shimano XT clip in pedals (came with the bike) and Shimano M162 shoes, both as pictured.

1sazj7.jpg

bezlz5.jpg

My question is that i'm looking at upgrading to a set of Ultegra 6800 pedals, but they apparently come with their own type of cleat? Will they fit into my shoe or would i have to stump up for a new pair of shoes? I'd rather not, but i'm not sure if i have a choice

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Ultegra 6800 will require a 3 bolt SPD SL type cleat and shoe. Alas yours are SPD 2 bolt, so the only Option is to buy new shoes to. normally the pedals will be supplied with a pair of cleats. Or stick with what you have if it works for you.
    Hoep this helps
  • AshW92
    NewTTer wrote:
    Ultegra 6800 will require a 3 bolt SPD SL type cleat and shoe. Alas yours are SPD 2 bolt, so the only Option is to buy new shoes to. normally the pedals will be supplied with a pair of cleats. Or stick with what you have if it works for you.
    Hoep this helps

Presumed this was the case, no worries mate thanks a lot. XT's work fine, just wanted to see if the carbon Ultegra's were as good as everyone says, not overly sure what the difference between the two would be apart from them being lighter
  • 'Road' kit uses 3 (or 4 in speedplay's case) bolt cleats, whereas SPD is a 2 bolt design. There are road shoes that also take 2 bolt cleats, but not vice versa. Therefore, you would need new shoes, yes.

Why do you want to change?

Edit, last I checked the A600 ultegra SPD pedal is actually a little lighter than the SPD SL equivalent, not that it matters much. There's no mysterious performance boost from using products branded 'road'.
  • AshW92
    'Road' kit uses 3 (or 4 in speedplay's case) bolt cleats, whereas SPD is a 2 bolt design. There are road shoes that also take 2 bolt cleats, but not vice versa. Therefore, you would need new shoes, yes.

These came with the bike when i bought them from my mate, and given that the pedals were XT i presumed it was all a mountain bike setup. And i just fancied a change, seen a cheap pair of the Ultegra's about and quite fancied it, but looking at them they looked a completely different clip in configuration. Oh, and i've been contemplating a new full carbon next spring, and a set of light carbon pedals would set it off a treat which i could carry over from the Cube
  • Thats a mtb shoes and pedals you got there. Theres spd and spd-sl.

You need spd sl. Get a new pair of spd sl shoes and cleats. They will go nicely with your 6800 pedals.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    'Road' kit uses 3 (or 4 in speedplay's case) bolt cleats, whereas SPD is a 2 bolt design. There are road shoes that also take 2 bolt cleats, but not vice versa. Therefore, you would need new shoes, yes.

Edit, last I checked the A600 ultegra SPD pedal is actually a little lighter than the SPD SL equivalent, not that it matters much. There's no mysterious performance boost from using products branded 'road'.

+1 for A600. I have them on my audax/touring bike and I rate them highly. I use Specialized Tahoe shoes with them and have never had any foot issues.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291

+1 for A600. I have them on my audax/touring bike and I rate them highly. I use Specialized Tahoe shoes with them and have never had any foot issues.
    +2. Light, lots of shoe choice, and you can walk in them.
  • AshW92
    Cheers for all the advice lads, think i prefer the look of the 6800 Ultegra's so might be worth stumping up the money for them and a new pair of shoes, suppose i can generate some cash from selling these. bit of a shame cause i like the shoes, but they are a bit on the heavy side
  • If you like your shoes, why not keep them?
  • AshW92
    If you like your shoes, why not keep them?

It's not so much the shoes mate, more of a want to change pedals, and the ones i want require new shoes. It's a shame there's no adaptor to turn it from a 2 bolt to a 3 bolt
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 85
    '

+another. Really good pedals if you want to avoid the impracticalities of SPD SL. I have three bikes, two road and one hybrid and the ease of jumping between them with same shoes is also a plus.

I even ended up lightening my A-600s with Titanium spindles...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AshW92 wrote:
    It's a shame there's no adaptor to turn it from a 2 bolt to a 3 bolt

Would not be possible and would be a real bodge/pointless even if it was.

Get some road shoes/pedals. You will love them ;-)

Evans have Boa ones for seventy odd pounds in their sale at the moment.
  • AshW92
    Carbonator wrote:
    AshW92 wrote:
    It's a shame there's no adaptor to turn it from a 2 bolt to a 3 bolt

Would not be possible and would be a real bodge/pointless even if it was.

Get some road shoes/pedals. You will love them ;-)

Evans have Boa ones for seventy odd pounds in their sale at the moment.

I will be doing mate, but just forked out 400 for a set of wheels for the Lapierre so need to save some money, and need to sell the current lot
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    NewTTer wrote:
    normally the pedals will be supplied with a pair of cleats.

Not road pedals they don't.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes they do. Especially Shimano. (my experience x2)
  • AshW92
    Tbf i'm looking at getting the Ultegra's from Wiggle, and it specifies the cleats come with the pedals so that's not a problem
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    If you're short of cash and your current pedals / shoes work fine then why spend £100 or so to change them? SPD-SLs certainly look more roady (I have them on three bikes) but they work just as well as SPDs. There are plenty of threads on here about SPD vs SPD-SL and most roadies are perfectly happy with SPDs.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    coriordan wrote:
    Yes they do. Especially Shimano. (my experience x2)

I stand corrected - it seems now they do (shows when I last bought any!)