Bottom Bracket or something else ??

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited August 2014 in Workshop
My relatively new Canyon has developed a pretty nasty sounding clunking and i just want to rule out everything before it takes trip to the LBS.

Under heavy load - pushing a low cadence out of the saddle it makes a very loud clunk when the drive side crank is at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

The bike is under 300 miles old and i noticed this issue after about 200 miles. It got progressively worse over a ride on Saturday which involved a lot of steep climbs.

What does seem weird is that it only clunks under heavy load, out of the saddle on the drive side. Out of the saddle on the flat there is no noise and when in the saddle under load there is no noise.

Any ideas ??
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Tighten up skewers. If bling Ti models, keep tightening and grease dropouts.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You say clunk rather than a "ping" or "click" but check where the spokes cross on the rear wheel too. Sometimes under load they move a little causing noise, especially when standing on the pedals. Try a bit of lubrication where the spokes cross and see if it solves the problem.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    philthy3 wrote:
    You say clunk rather than a "ping" or "click" but check where the spokes cross on the rear wheel too. Sometimes under load they move a little causing noise, especially when standing on the pedals. Try a bit of lubrication where the spokes cross and see if it solves the problem.

Think most wheels nowadays are radial spoke layout so they dont cross over each other.
  • Flashart
    Flashart Posts: 13
    I had something similar on my bike a while back, thought the BB was knackered but just needed nipping up, quarter turn later (not antwhere near that really) noise had gone :)
  • Tjgoodhew
    Flashart wrote:
    I had something similar on my bike a while back, thought the BB was knackered but just needed nipping up, quarter turn later (not antwhere near that really) noise had gone :)

After checking pedals, spokes, cassette and skewer iv still got the noise.

Spoke to the LBS and they have said its probably exactly this -the OH is dropping it into them this afternoon to have a quick look and just double check everything else.

Will update once they have had a look
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Think most wheels nowadays are radial spoke layout so they dont cross over each other.
    The rear wheel must have at least some crossed spokes, because radial spokes are incapable of transferring torque.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    The rear wheel must have at least some crossed spokes, because radial spokes are incapable of transferring torque.

How does a front brake transfer the torque then?
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    paulwood wrote:
    How does a front brake transfer the torque then?
    Rim brakes generate no torque at the hub, so radial spokes work fine there. Hub brakes (e.g. disc brakes) are different, and require crossed spokes the same as a rear wheel.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    philthy3 wrote:

"Most"?? I really don't think so. Quite a few radial fronts, but (and I'm prepared to be proven wrong here) I don't think I've ever seen a radially spoked rear wheel - the spokes just wouldn't handle the torque in that configuration.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Flashart wrote:

After checking pedals, spokes, cassette and skewer iv still got the noise.

Spoke to the LBS and they have said its probably exactly this -the OH is dropping it into them this afternoon to have a quick look and just double check everything else.

Will update once they have had a look

It was the above - BB just needed a tighten - about half a turn. Took it out for a long ride Saturday and the noise has completely gone
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0