Cheap tubeless tyres

paul1000
paul1000 Posts: 190
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Have some fulcrum zero two way fit which I run with gp4000s and latex tubes and are great but am itching to try some tubeless but they all seem so expensive, can anyone recommend some.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    They are all expensive. You might have better luck buying them from Germany, they seem a tad cheaper there, but not cheap
    left the forum March 2023
  • paul1000
    Fusion 3 seem the cheapest but don't get the best reviews, the gp4000 are so tight on the rims, I'm dreading getting a p
    e out on them so tubeless seems a good idea, will have a look at the German sites, cheers
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Paul1000 wrote:
    the gp4000 are so tight on the rims, I'm dreading getting a p
    e out on them so tubeless seems a good idea

That's the rim, not the tyre... the GP 4000 are not tight at all
    left the forum March 2023
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    IMHO: Hutchinson Fusion 3 t/l are the best for a first experience. £40-ish from Wiggle; about the same as a decent clincher and tube. And while you're on the site check out the reviews from people who actually paid for and use them - very highly rated.
    I run Fusions in the summer (Intensives in the winter) and find them to be excellent. Better in every respect than the Conti 4000S + latex tubes that I used before switching 3 years ago. Inflate to 5.5 bar and experiment with pressures from 5 to 6 bar.

If Conti 4000s are tight you might be moved to a few expletives the first time you fit a tubeless tyre. Plenty of advice on here and Hutchinson's site about fitting them. If you're near Chester, PM me and I'll sort you out for the price of a beer.
  • paul1000
    Might take you up on that stanthomas, I'm only a few miles away, i might give them a go, cheers
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    http://www.cycle-basar.de/Reifen-Schlaeuche/Reifen/Reifen-Road-tubular-630-28/Schwalbe-ONE-Tubeless-Faltreifen-622.html

I run the clincher version on my Fulcrums. Great tyres but as all top end Schwalbe can take the odd nick. Still brilliant tyres though and decent price
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the German Schwalbes are potentially the cheapest option, if they have in stock. I have some 28s waiting to go on so can't comment on the actual performance yet. Previous (non-tubeless) Schwalbes have been a bit hit and miss for me though, quality-wise...

Bonty R3 are good and grippy but wear quite quickly.

Fusion3s are okay but not very good in the wet IME so I've gone off them recently.

See what Acycles have in stock. They can have some good deals (French site).
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Fusion3s are okay but not very good in the wet IME so I've gone off them recently.
    My experience has been that tubeless Fusions grip well in wet and dry. And, much as I might like to think I have some special talent, I don't imagine I passed all those people (and nobody passed me) on the Vaujany/Marmotte descents on tyres that don't stick.

I would also note that ACycles' Sterling prices look good but you actual pay in Euros at a lousy exchange rate. There is a saving to be made but you'll want to work out the true price.