Brother

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
My brother is on about getting another bike for fine weather commuting (about 15 miles each way) and maybe doing some light touring. This would be nice as we lost our younger brother (his twin) to cancer this year so if he got into cycling it'd be a good way to spend some time together other than going down the pub.

He's on about getting a flat bar - I am telling him to go for a drop bar bike but he doesn't want a saddle to bar drop as he finds my race bikes too aggressive. Now I think given a bit of time in the saddle he'd adapt like everyone else but actually getting him to buy the bike can't have much of a saddle to bar drop at all. He's also keen on disc brakes which while perhaps unnecessary might give him a bit more confidence as he is an appallingly cautious descender - I don't think that would be a deal breaker though.

Anyone got any recommendations ? He is taking a career break to retrain whilst working P/T so he wont want to spend a fortune - probably well under a grand though second hand would be OK as I can check the bike over for him.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    Specialized secteur sport disc? Relaxed geometry and just under a grand
  • My Dad absolutely had to have a flat bar bike. He went for the Cube SL Road (from Solent Cycles) in the end and has been very happy.

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/tour/sl-road/sl-road/

He has done some long rides in the Fens and even tackled the Round The Island route (Isle of Wight) on it. He finds it very comfortable and light and has only changed the seat.

Solent Cycles did have a similar looking bike with disc brakes on display (can't remember the exact model) but this was a fair bit weightier.