To layback or not to layback (seatposts)

danchandler
danchandler Posts: 63
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
What do people use? I'm struggling to get my body position on the bike right with the standard seatpost, even with the seat slid all the way forward. So I've got an inline seatpost, I was wondering what you guys run, as I've had a bit of a struggle to get comfortable

Dan
2011 carrera fury
2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
2014 carrera virtuoso road bike

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most road bikes are set-up to run layback seatposts - if you are sliding forward on the saddle then it sounds as though the 'reach' on your bike is too long and fitting an inline post doesn't really address a fundamental problem with your bike fit. I would get someone to help with getting your position right. Improving your flexibility, particularly hamstrings can help too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Perhaps I should have explained better. I bought a large (54cm) carrera virtuoso from halfords, to see if I wanted to get into properly and I do. But for the time being, funds won't allow an upgrade to a better steed, so I'm getting this one to fit me properly. I'm happy with the seat height, and handlebar position, but using the plumb line/bomb method my knee is miles behind the pedal axle, even with the seat forward, hence trying an inline seatpost. I had a little ride round the block tonight and it feels better, like I'm using my thighs for pushing down and not my calfs/ankles. I'll have to update upon having a proper ride
    2011 carrera fury
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    If it feels better, then go with it. People tend to think that resorting to an inline seatpost automatically signifies that your bike is too large for you. I'm only 5' 4'' but I have long legs and a short torso and recently switched to an inline post and the bike (a 48cm Cayo Evo) fits much better. Swapping to a shorter stem was not an option as I then found that my knees would hit the bars when climbing out of the saddle.
  • Result. It feels a lot better, and feels a lot more effecient, if you know what I mean. No neck ache, no shoulder ache, no lower back ache. Body position on the bike is much improved. Well happy now
    2011 carrera fury
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    the ratio of upper leg /lower leg defines your saddle layback position.
    I have longer lower leg so use an inline with the saddle far forward.
    In the olden days, this would have needed a custom frame angle to fix.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Result. It feels a lot better, and feels a lot more effecient, if you know what I mean. No neck ache, no shoulder ache, no lower back ache. Body position on the bike is much improved. Well happy now

Lowering your saddle will also move it forward - maybe check your knee angle at bottom of pedal stoke and see if you could drop a bit as well. I was really surprised when I went for a bike fitting just how much lower and further forward I was put compared to my "usual" position. I always thought I had height about right, but the video replays don't lie, and even having dropped 5cm :!: I still had good knee position and angles within tolerance. Like you it improved comfort too. And on reflection the "clicking" Achilles I used to get after 3 or 4 heavy days on the bike could well have been down to over-extension, time will tell.. One bonus though - I naturally "ankle" as a result of being too high for years!