Flat pedals for DH

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 60,621
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have a set of Wellgo MG-1's stuck on my DH bike for now as I had a spare pair lying around when the bike turned up. They're good enough for now but as they're magnesium, I have a feeling they may not last forever and will want to replace them with something decent when they need changing.

Apart from toughness and durability, I'm looking for something fairly thin but with a decent sized platform. I'm taking ability to stick to 5-10's for granted. In case of more than one good possibility, the tie breaker will be on whether they look good :) Price-wise I'll pay for quality but not silly money, so let's say £100 at the absolute max, preferably a bit less.

Any recommendations?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd get 3 pairs of MG1!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd get 3 pairs of MG1!

Mine (on my main bike) have lasted almost five years, so that would do me until I get a bus pass.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I really don't like my MG1's, they ended up on the wifes bike after a few rides.
    Superstar or Shimano Saints are my favourite flats. Not a lot in it between them.
    Time to move on to SPD for downhill anyway, when was the las time anyone won a DH world cup on flats???
  • lol ^

I did like MG1's until I had superstar ultra mag's. Lighter than the MG1 and wider, take a beating too.

Saints are heavy.
  • Stevo_666
    lol ^

I did like MG1's until I had superstar ultra mag's. Lighter than the MG1 and wider, take a beating too.

Saints are heavy.
    Sounds interesting - will go check the Superstar site.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    supersonic wrote:
    Yesterday?
    :mrgreen:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Gee Atherton also won the Cairns round on flat pedals and a pair of borrowed 5:10's...
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    DMR vaults. huge platform, very comfy under foot and after 2 years of abuse and multiple rock strikes the sum total of maintenance has been replacing a few pins. c £70 and plenty of colourways
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    superstar ultra mag's. Lighter than the MG1 and wider, take a beating too

Yep - got them on both (the big) bikes. Can't fault them, and the ones on the DH bike have taken some big old rock strikes - haven't even lost a pin yet.

And I've just got a set of DC skate shoes with the sole pattern below, and they grip better than my Five Tens and only cost £30 from Routeone!

001006058_c.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I've got some Nukeproof Neutron's on the BFe which combined with the Five Ten's are massively grippy, plus they're pretty thin.

Seeing as you're totally wedged up though you could probably splash out on the Nukeproof Neutron Alloy-Ti version :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Saints. Heavy, but very grippy and are really quick to service, though I've only had to do that once after about 11 months on them. They also come with plenty of replacement pins.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Stevo_666
    arran77 wrote:
    Seeing as you're totally wedged up though you could probably splash out on the Nukeproof Neutron Alloy-Ti version :wink:
    Yeah but I'm tight. Those Superstar ultramags look good - even with Ti axles they're within budget - and 260g a pair...actually, I'm tight enough to wait till my MG-1 are toast :mrgreen:

Some good top tip here lads, ta 8)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    These are going to be my next pedal when my Nanos eventually die (although they're still holding up like a champ)...

http://www.burgtec.co.uk/news/burgtec-penthouse-mk4/
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'd go for Vault's. I've owned MG1's, Nano's and Vault's (as well as a few others). The Vaults are the first pedals I've owned that I've not had to put longer pins in to get the grip I wanted and the platform is huge compared to the Nano's and MG1's.

MG1's are a bit delicate for DH IME. The body itself is strong enough but the pins get ripped out too easily and with them the threads go so you can't replace them. I'd guess that's the downside of using magnesium. The Nano's are fine but I'd always go for the Vault's now I've used them, that grip and platform size is hard to argue with and depending on where you buy them you'll get less hit and miss customer service than with Superstar. If it matters to you the anodising is far tougher on the Vault's than on the Nano's (both red, although the Superstar's were more pink). Out of the MG1's and Nano's I have to say I preferred the MG1's so long as the track wasn't rocky. I found they had a bit more grip, they are far lighter and they're cheaper.

The Vault's even come a few extra pins and an allen key for when you wreck some. I know they only cost a few pennies but it's a nice touch from DMR.
  • Stevo_666
    peter413 wrote:
    I'd go for Vault's. I've owned MG1's, Nano's and Vault's (as well as a few others). The Vaults are the first pedals I've owned that I've not had to put longer pins in to get the grip I wanted and the platform is huge compared to the Nano's and MG1's.

MG1's are a bit delicate for DH IME. The body itself is strong enough but the pins get ripped out too easily and with them the threads go so you can't replace them. I'd guess that's the downside of using magnesium. The Nano's are fine but I'd always go for the Vault's now I've used them, that grip and platform size is hard to argue with and depending on where you buy them you'll get less hit and miss customer service than with Superstar. If it matters to you the anodising is far tougher on the Vault's than on the Nano's (both red, although the Superstar's were more pink). Out of the MG1's and Nano's I have to say I preferred the MG1's so long as the track wasn't rocky. I found they had a bit more grip, they are far lighter and they're cheaper.

The Vault's even come a few extra pins and an allen key for when you wreck some. I know they only cost a few pennies but it's a nice touch from DMR.
    Thanks Peter - Vaults also now on the possible list.
  • Stevo_666
    Sure enough I'm losing pins from the MG-1's - one from each side. Think I'll give the Vaults a try.
  • I'm no pro, but I've got a pair of Nukeproof Electrons. grippiest pedals I've ever used. Wear a pair of Vans whenever I go riding, and my feet feel rock solid in place. £30 too, so no big expense

They are resin though so if that bothers you then maybe an issue
  • I wouldn't use resin pedals for DH, they aren't going to do well with high speed rock strikes.
    Superstar Nanos are similar shape and similarly grippy for only £7 more.