Time for an upgrade. Advice please

MedwayComputers
MedwayComputers Posts: 34
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I have been using my Voodoo Hoodoo now for just over 18 months and covered over 4K miles. Probably about 60% on road and 40% off road.
I like going out and then exploring hence a Mtb.

Looking to upgrade the Voodoo hoodoo and looking for some advise.
I am looking to spend a max of £1500 and looking around theres so many options.
I like the look of the Boardman Mountain Bike Pro Carbon Hardtail 650B 2014 - 18"
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-pro-carbon-hardtail-650b-2014#tab2
but a bit worried that it only has 20 gears. I do use my lowest on the steep hills and the highest when going down them so would loosing the extra 7 gears make a huge difference?

Also what would you recommend?

thanks
Dave.

Comments

• hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    20 is plenty haha it basically lose the BIG ring,so you still have the granny and middle which is more than enough,for ups and downs,I very rarely spin out on the steep downs,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It basically does nothing of the sort.

2x10 uses a much bigger gap between the front chainrings and also has a larger biggest sprocket on the cassette.

3x9 only really has 13 or 14 discrete gears, the rest are overlaps, 2x10 (with 14t between chainwheel sizes) has 14 discrete gears.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have a 2012 pro carbon and absolutely love it. Being 50 plus years old 2 x 10 is absolutely fine .more than enough gears. I have changed bits over time wheels to hope pro 2 with stans , carbon bar and crankset, xo shifters, better tyres. Now have a sub 10kg bike that is great to ride.
  • Last night I went out for a ride and tried using the middle front ring on my current bike but soon required to go into the 3rd large one.
    I find that most of my cycling is up on the large front ring so am I going to find only having the two front rings unacceptable.
    Is annoying that you cant like a car take the bikes out for a long test ride, specially when your looking at spending over £1k on it.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Last night I went out for a ride and tried using the middle front ring on my current bike but soon required to go into the 3rd large one.
    I find that most of my cycling is up on the large front ring so am I going to find only having the two front rings unacceptable.
    Is annoying that you cant like a car take the bikes out for a long test ride, specially when your looking at spending over £1k on it.

It's not about the rings or how many actual cogs there are... it's about the ratios covered. As such testing differetn cogs on your current bike won't give you any idea how a different bike with different gearing will ride.

I run 1x10 with 32t up front and 11-36t out back and I never find myself spinning on the downs or wishing I had a slacker gear when going back up, as I have ratios most useful to me covered.

Read up on gear ratios ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have 2 x 10 with a 36 / 22 chainset and 11-36 rear cassette. It works fine for me and unless you are very, very fast downhill or spend a lot of time on roads it will be fine. Work out which gear ratios you use the most and see if it has them covered.
  • Thanks for your replies.

I do spend more time on road but will monitor what gears I mainly use.
    Then I presume I need to find out what gear ratios the bike came with.