Buying another decent frame but not sure what to go for.

markc1984
markc1984 Posts: 44
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
Last year I wrote off my Specialized Tarmac S-works sl3 in a pretty bad accident. To cut a long story short, I never had any insurance, so only recouped back the return on the broken frame... yes I know, VERY idiotic thing to do but you live and learn and I will never make that same mistake again. A year on and I'm looking to build another decent summer road bike.

Miraculously but also ironically all the SRAM Red parts and my Mavic Cosmic carbone wheel set survived the accident and didn't even get one bit of damage or even a scratch! So its just a case of getting another frame to install them on to.

I currently ride a Kinesis Racelight which was my winter bike but have had to use it as a stop gap. Understandably, I just don't find it as nice or as quick as a ride as my Specialized was. I don't really know if I'm keen to part with another substantial amount of cash like I did last time though so I think my budget for a new frame will be quite a bit lower.

I know this is a long shot but are there affordable carbon frames out there that are almost there in terms of performance compared to the S-Works frame or are we talking about a completely different league of performance when it comes to the S-Works label? I have to admit, the SL3 was a fantastic frame and it was a real joy to ride. I am sure the SL4 is even better in this regard but the cost is astronomical and I just don't know whether I can bear to part with so much money, even for a second hand frame (if I was lucky to find one at a half decent price!)

What would you guys suggest?

Comments

• vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    BMC SLR01? What's your budget?
  • After typing all of that, I can't believe that I failed to mention my budget, you have to laugh sometimes. :lol: I think £700 would be my absolute maximum. I'm always happy to buy second hand too whenever the option is open.

I'll take a look at the BMC! Thanks for the suggesion. Any other frames to recommend?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ritchey Road Logic. Steel is so boss.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    If I was in that position (and this was the right size) then one of these:

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/road-frames/sintesi-m2-aero-framekit

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you can find one at the right price, Wilier Cento Uno post 2010 is great. I doubt you can pick up an SL4 for your budget and if you can, you need to watch out to make sure the forks were checked/ replaced by Spesh.

Peter
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Now I know your budget I doubt you'd get a BMC, however I can completely agree with this recommendation....
    northpole wrote:
    If you can find one at the right price, Wilier Cento Uno post 2010 is great. I doubt you can pick up an SL4 for your budget and if you can, you need to watch out to make sure the forks were checked/ replaced by Spesh.

Peter
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Keep it Kinesis with an Aithein?
  • Cheers for the suggestions guys. I had a look at the BMC SLR01 earlier on and it's a stunner of a frame but unfortunately out of my price range, if only I had a bit more money to play with. :(

The Wilier Cento Uno looks a very nice frame but I don't think it'll be easy to find second hand, not at a reasonable price anyway. :(

I had thought about another Kinesis but having already owned one, I would like something a bit different. Good frames none the less though! :)
  • Unless i'm missing the obvious, why dont you just buy another SL3...?

£700 should get you a frame from that well known internet auction site.
  • I did set out to get another SL3 but I can never find one at a decent price. :(

Then when I do see one I like they're either too big or small, 56cm frames don't seem to come up that often there, it's frustrating. :(
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're not too much off a brand fetishist then have a look at the offerings on the Paul Milnes Ebay shop.

They have a Merida Scultura frame for £500

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/merida-scultu ... 27e76beb51

A Forme Axe Edge for the same money:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forme-Axe-Edg ... 643cd15dbb

And a Forme Thorpe Comp 1 for £600

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/forme-thorpe- ... 2582180704

All in the 56 size you need.

I have dealt with them in the past and they are excellent.

Just another suggestion to drop into the mix.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    AlistairD wrote:
    If I was in that position (and this was the right size) then one of these:

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/road-frames/sintesi-m2-aero-framekit

A

They'll slap the aero tag on anything nowadays.

ISP must mean it's aero...
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    ADR Flow would be where my £799 would go.

• Yep.. this is exactly the one I've gone for. :D

Same colour as the one I broke too - I'm now a happy chappy!