Average speed v poor

2»

Comments

• fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Based on what worked for me (started at age 40 and 110kg):

I agree with the idea of riding with your faster mates some of the time but get out on your own in between and get miles in the legs and the lungs. If you're worried about spoiling your mates ride let them know you're genuinely happy for them to drop you when you can't keep up (obviously you need to mean it if you say it). Use your solo rides to build up fitness and when you do ride with your mates make it your goal to hang on as long as you can. I focused mainly on cadence but did some rides where I deliberately pushed big gears and some leg sessions at the gym to build up leg strength.

There's no science in my approach and I'm not saying it'll work for the OP but it got me to where I wanted to be. We're all different and we're motivated by different things but starting with a year training as described above (slowly increasing distance) I've dropped from 110kg to 85, increased from 10 mile rides to a longest of 160 and my average speed over "long" distances has increased from 11mph to 15-19 depending on terrain and conditions.
  • Thanks a bunch for all the replies, much appreciate all the info given.

I'm going to try and digest all the various comments and try them out, see what works for me. Need to remeber that I am doing it both for fitness and enjoyment though, I dont want to get so bogged down with the technical stuff to the detriment of having fun...

Really do appreciate the comments tho, thanks to all...
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Hey OP, it comes good with putting the miles in mate

Agree totally. You don't say how often you are getting out, but 25 miles, once a week isn't enough. TBH, initially it is about general aerobic fitness. Try and do an hour or so 5 times per week - it probably doesn't matter if it's cycling, running or any other aerobic exercise. As you get fitter, you will get faster. No shortcuts - sorry.

If you are motivated by numbers, a heart rate monitor and maybe a power meter ( you can get Powertap wheels on ebay for less than £400) will help you get more out of your rides.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    DavidJB wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    I don't say never ride with faster riders, but don't make it your regular training. There is no fun in working hard for 20 miles holding someone's wheel at 20mph only to be dropped, exhausted and struggling to make your own way back. I've been the victim and the culprit when the slow rider is dropped purely because sometimes you can't hear them holler they're being dropped. It's fine if the group has someone that is willing to knock it off and ride back with the rider, but often it can be a free for all leaving the rider demoralised when it's happened for the umpteenth time. Once the Op gets to a certain standard, then I'd agree that chain ganging it is the way to go. At the moment though, an average speed of 11-13mph isn't chain gang territory in my opinion.

I used to get dropped every week on the 'fast' club 50 (4 years ago) and I came back for more and it caused me to get fitter / stronger. Too many wimps and babies in cycling now, I see it in my local club. If you get dropped ride home by yourself and come back for more next week. Not reaching your target should spur you on not 'demoralise' you.

Sounds bags of fun, where do I sign up?

@the OP, just keep putting in the rides. If you want to get fitter then just ride at as high a pace as you can for your whole training rides. I only started cycling in Feb this year, I have a 19.4 mile/1,000+ ft of elevation training loop that I use as a marker to see my improvement. I've gone from doing it in 80 minutes to 61 minutes, and have done 103 miles averaging 17mph.

I tend to do 20-30 miles once or twice in the week then 40-60 miles on a Sunday morning. No matter what the distance I make sure I'm completely knackered when I get home, if I feel I have some strength left I'll sprint up a hill or just hammer it home until my legs have gone. You don't improve unless you push yourself. (Which I suppose is what you'd do on a club run where you get dropped, but I can't see much fun in it).

When I first went out on Feb 2nd I was so knackered I had to stop after 10 miles and many more times before I got home. It helps that I have a riding buddy who is/was stronger than me, the difference with some of these club rides is that he didn't drop me and bugger off home. 6 months later he has a job pulling any sort of gap on a climb never mind dropping me.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    OP.

There's some good advise in here (if you pick through the arguing).

Essentially you'll get faster the more you ride. If you don't already, get a cheapo cycle computer that can show you your cadence. Go out and just work on your cadence. A good place to start is probably 80 or 85 RPM, 70 or 75 RPM when climbing. Go out on routes you enjoy, don't worry about your speed and just work on the cadence. When that cadence feels good and holding it isn't too difficult, work on more like 90RPM.

That's what I did and it's served me pretty well. The good thing about it is that it doesn't distract too much from the enjoyment because at the end of the day the best thing about cycling is what you get to see while you're out on the bike. Don't become a slave to average speeds.

I'd also suggest maybe doing some hill reps if you live somewhere with some hills. Find a hill that's about 5 miles from your house, ride out to it working on your cadence and then go up and down it as many times as you can until you're absolutely beat. Cycle home. Do that once a week or fortnight, it won't be any fun but it'll really improve your fitness which ultimately makes normal rides more fun.

When I first started nearly two years ago I'd never average above 15mph and I'd be burying myself giving it everything. Now even an easy ride I'll average over 17mph.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Talks of sub 70 cadence on the flat is crazy! If you don't know what it looks like to be between 80-100 most club cyclist will cycle within this range and if you are fortunate enough to have a garmin get a cadence sensor.
    I personally find anything lower than 85 feels like I'm pushing too hard on the muscle and anything above 100 feels like its too much on the CV system.

I generally like a cadence of 90rpm this is my personal sweet spot but everyone is different. If you have recorded a 47rpm ride then get it up to 80rpm and you go further more quickly you will no doubt find you go from your 11mph to something like 14mph straight away because at such low cadences you'll drop speed as soon as you hit any lumpy surfaces an be unable to maintain speed.
  • You don't have to have a cadence sensor. Use a gear calculator (eg. Sheldon Brown's) and remember what speed you need to be doing for a given gear (and vice versa)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    philthy3 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Too many wimps and babies in cycling now, I see it in my local club. If you get dropped ride home by yourself and come back for more next week. Not reaching your target should spur you on not 'demoralise' you.

What a fantastically sympathetic attitude to have towards novice riders. I'd sooner ride with a bunch of beginners at half my pace than with a bunch with that kind of attitude. :roll:

What kind of attitude is that? Is it where I spend hours upon hours helping new riders get into cycling, help them with bike choice, clothing advice and general hints and tips? Or where I'm happy to talk with anyone of any ability about how to get stronger or is it where I give up my free time to volunteer at my local club events even though I hardly ever ride them? Or maybe it's the fact I always stop to see if a stranded cyclist is OK even if I'm in the middle of a particular training session offering my only spare tube if I have it and they need it?

I don't have an 'attitude' I am just of the opinion you shouldn't moan if you get dropped from a club run. Some people go on about it like you drop kicked their 90 year old mother into a pool of slurry...it's really not the end of the world. I wouldn't want anyone to wait for me as I don't want to be a burden on anyone else or ruin their ride so maybe that's where it comes from.

The the OP don't worry about average speed, just ride as hard as you can and you will improve. I don't even look at my average speed any more, there are far better metrics for analysing performance but for now just enjoy the ride!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Referring to them as wimps and babies belies your true sentiment.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • DavidJB
    philthy3 wrote:
    Referring to them as wimps and babies belies your true sentiment.

Tough love ;)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    DavidJB wrote:
    Some people go on about it like you drop kicked their 90 year old mother into a pool of slurry...

What a delightful image. Is that what your local club mates promised to do to your Mum if you didn't keep up?

BTW, to have a Mum of 90 you'd need to be about 60...bit old for a 'beginner'?!?!?!?!???

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Has it been mentioned yet if the OP has changed his tyres to slicks? The single most important thing if you're riding a CX bike. But the best thing he can do is just keep going out every weekend, 11mph sounds about right for a beginner.

As for club rides, I wouldn't try until you can do about 15mph average. I do go on them personally but having to put in a lot of effort at times when I don't want to put in a lot of effort isn't for me, I prefer to enjoy the ride and ride hard when I want to.
  • birdie23
    You don't have to have a cadence sensor. Use a gear calculator (eg. Sheldon Brown's) and remember what speed you need to be doing for a given gear (and vice versa)

For the cost I'd rather have a cheap cadence sensor than be thinking about numerous speeds for numerous cadences in numerous gears while trying to enjoy my ride...
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • As for club rides, I wouldn't try until you can do about 15mph average.

Sorry but this is not good advice. Firstly, "15mph average" for how long? 10 miles? 30? 60? Secondly, "15mph average" where? On the Fens or in the Pennines? Thirdly, I know of several club rides locally to me which are slower than this.

Posts like this will only serve to put beginners off joining cycling clubs.

OP, if you are interested in riding in a group, you might want to consider joining the CTC. My local CTC group has weekend rides aimed at beginners/enthusiasts rather than racers.
  • birdie23 wrote:
    You don't have to have a cadence sensor. Use a gear calculator (eg. Sheldon Brown's) and remember what speed you need to be doing for a given gear (and vice versa)

For the cost I'd rather have a cheap cadence sensor than be thinking about numerous speeds for numerous cadences in numerous gears while trying to enjoy my ride...

It's no worse than any of the other number juggling, but I'd sooner someone have better shorts or shoes than a cadence computer if they're skint!
  • birdie23
    It's no worse than any of the other number juggling, but I'd sooner someone have better shorts or shoes than a cadence computer if they're skint!

Agree on having better shorts and shoes. I was coming from the view that if you're happy with your gear and want to get better the most basic extra I'd recommend is a cadence sensor.

Personally, I have a Garmin but if I was to pick just one feature from it to keep it would be the cadence sensing.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • birdie23 wrote:

Agree on having better shorts and shoes. I was coming from the view that if you're happy with your gear and want to get better the most basic extra I'd recommend is a cadence sensor.

Personally, I have a Garmin but if I was to pick just one feature from it to keep it would be the cadence sensing.

Yes, agree. Though I'd find it hard to choose between HR and cadence for my needs...
  • birdie23
    I broke my heart rate sensor over the winter so have got used to being without it. I will be buying a new one though!
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • As for club rides, I wouldn't try until you can do about 15mph average.

Sorry but this is not good advice. Firstly, "15mph average" for how long? 10 miles? 30? 60? Secondly, "15mph average" where? On the Fens or in the Pennines? Thirdly, I know of several club rides locally to me which are slower than this.

Posts like this will only serve to put beginners off joining cycling clubs.

OP, if you are interested in riding in a group, you might want to consider joining the CTC. My local CTC group has weekend rides aimed at beginners/enthusiasts rather than racers.

I only say that because it's quite possible a beginner may join a group and then be put off because they can't keep up, it's happened to me and it's happened to lots of others I've seen too.
  • DavidJB
    SecretSam wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Some people go on about it like you drop kicked their 90 year old mother into a pool of slurry...

What a delightful image. Is that what your local club mates promised to do to your Mum if you didn't keep up?

BTW, to have a Mum of 90 you'd need to be about 60...bit old for a 'beginner'?!?!?!?!???

No, but one did imply I was fat on the first time out...which to be fair I was.