And the Record for Shortest Ever Ride Goes to Me.

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited August 2014 in The cake stop
Have been laid up last couple of weeks with back pain and stinking cold. So last night thought I would venture out on the bike. At driveway. Set up Strava. Heading left then immediate right into side road. Pushed off, coasting as waiting for oncoming car to go past before I turn right. Car at give way on side road so pre occupied with the same car didn't even bother to check my side of road and Bang! End of ride, I'm lying in the road after less than 20 metres. Is this a record?
Much Anglo Saxon language spewed forth, with the offending driver from Eastern Europe, trying to fob me off with £300. Reported incident to his insurers and then trotted off to A&E, to be told that possible fractured ribs and definite damaged muscles to rib cage, and no riding for 3-4 weeks. So that's the end of my summer riding. Thank you very much.

BTW. On checking my bike the steerer now has some play in it ie; slight wobble. Is it knack'd?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    That's not good Goo, glad that you're basically ok.

Sounds like it was totally the driver at fault pulling out and across you :shock:

Bike definitely needs looking at by a shop I reckon to be sure but it sounds a bit knackered.

Hopefully we get a decent autumn and you get some riding in then :D
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    That is pretty impressive!

I thought my ride and crash before I got to the club ride was short at 11k
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Since you live in the New Forest I'm pretty sure one of the NIMBY's hit you on purpose
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    Funny that Mr Goo - I had back pain and a cold simultaneously. Maybe there was a bug going around that caused that.

A good winter will set you up for a good summer 2015. Good luck and hope your insurers/LBS collude to get you an upgrade :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Reported incident to his insurers and then trotted off to A&E, to be told that possible fractured ribs and definite damaged muscles to rib cage, and no riding for 3-4 weeks. So that's the end of my summer riding. Thank you very much.

BTW. On checking my bike the steerer now has some play in it ie; slight wobble. Is it knack'd?
    Goo, let your lawyers loose on his insurance co. You should be back riding before too long - I bust my ribs last summer and was off the bike for less than 3 weeks.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    I came very close to beating that record a couple of winters ago. My house is part way up a slight slope and I was starting to cycle out of the drive and up the road in both senses and the next think I knew I was picking myself of the road feeling slightly dazed. I felt sorely tempted that morning to put the bike back away after a grand total of a 4 metre ( the width of the road) ride. In the end I decided to carry on as apart from feeling slightly rough there was nothing wrong with either myself or the bike.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The stem may have simply been moved during the collision resulting in a slightly loose headset, but get it checked.
    Get well soon.
    Some may say "man up" in a poor attempt at humour.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I once managed a clipless fall sideways onto the pavement at the end of the drive. Took a big chunk out of my right knee. It was only the possibility that my wife had witnessed the event that made me hop back on the bike and cycle off :oops: . 10 miles later and the adrenaline had worn off; I was in considerable pain and still bleeding, when at the foot of a hill I discovered that I'd bent my rear mech hanger so I couldn't use the 3 largest sprockets :(

I don't clip both feet in on the drive any more...
  • mr_goo
    Cheers for responses. I am very aware that I got away with just bumps and bruises. I'm more angry at his stupidity for not checking the road.
    However as a word of advice to all. I have just spoken with my local constabulary, and registered the accident. They say that any incident where there is an injury, even if it appears minor at the time, should be reported to the police. Obviously the driver should do this at the earliest opportunity. So far the delightful individual that knocked me down has neither reported to police or his insurers. As far as I can tell I have done everything to cover all outcomes for me.

The only thing I am miffed at is that his insurers (LV) tell me that if bike is written off, they will not fund the purchase of a new like for like replacement. I would have to claim of my own insurance (increased premiums?) So a bit of a battle on perhaps with that. Yet to get it checked anyway, as cannot drive for 2-3 days yet.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The only thing I am miffed at is that his insurers (LV) tell me that if bike is written off, they will not fund the purchase of a new like for like replacement. I would have to claim of my own insurance (increased premiums?) So a bit of a battle on perhaps with that. Yet to get it checked anyway, as cannot drive for 2-3 days yet.

BC or CTC membership? Contact the legal dept. Even your own house insurance may be able to help if you have legal protection.

You deserve to be put back into the place where you were before the accident - so if that's a 17yo knackered bike then that's basically what you should expect. However, if it's a rather nice bike with lifetime warranty then that's what you should expect too - you don't usually get lifetime warranty with second hand bikes so it'd have to be a new frame at least ...

Btw - I believe your claim is against the driver - not his insurance, so if his insurance won't pay out then you do a claim against the driver - although I rather suspect LV are just putting in an opening shot to try and lower your expectations ...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    He is liable. Threaten LV with contacting an injury lawyer and they may jump. Contact a personal injury lawyer anyway.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Mr Goo wrote:
    ...the offending driver from Eastern Europe...etc

I hope you improve soon. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mr_goo
    Ambulance chasers have already called me. How the hell did they get my details and know about prang. Data Protection Act obviously means jack.