105 long cage rear mechs?

Monkeyman01
Monkeyman01 Posts: 43
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I want to buy a 105 rear mech for my road bike. The bike has a triple chainset (30/39/50) and 11- 25 tooth cassette, so by my calculations I need a long cage rear mech.

I can only find short and medium cage 105 rear mechs on the Internet, so was wondering if they do them at all.

Does anyone know if they do exist, and where I can get one? I suppose I could use a medium cage, but I'm a bit worried as the maximum front difference is 22T and the total capacity is 40T, so it wouldn't be right (by my calculations that is).

Comments

• Got one on my bike (10 speed)
    Not sure if they exist on 11 sp or not
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Medium would be fine, if you really want long cage then you can use a 9 speed MTB mech like the Shimano M531 or M571, it will work on both 9 speed and 10 speed. I am running one on my 10 speed 105 setup with a 11-32 cassette
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Medium is what we think of as long on a road bike. Sometimes also identified as GS. Given the choice of 105 short or medium, you want medium for your triple.
  • Cool.
    Thanks for the responses. I guess it'll have to be a medium cage then.
    I checked the Ultegra rear mechs, and they were only short and medium too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As stanthomas says, there's only 2 lengths of Shimano road rear mechs, SS and GS. For a triple you want the longer of the two, the GS. (I have a 105 triple myself)