Tub glue question

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
edited August 2014 in Workshop
So, I've been using Velox tape, which works well but always stays attached to the base tape when you remove the tub, and Continental Cement (carbon-specific) which also works well, but is a faff and messy. I bought a set of wheels with tubs already fitted; when I removed them they'd been stuck on with some kind of white adhesive which came cleanly off the rim but stayed on the base tape, and (critically) also stayed sticky. I used one of the removed tubs as a spare and had to fit it at the roadside today; the residual adhesive, whatever it is, gave perfectly adequate adhesion on a clean rim (I'd been using tape on this set).

So the $64,000 question: what the hell is this stuff, and where can I buy it?

If it helps, the original wheels were Vision TC24s taken off a Cannondale Supersix Evo factory build; the tubs are Schwalbe Ultremo HTs.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Could be Jantex tape - white stays attached to tub, easy to peel off tub leaving no residue if you want to.

I keep an old tub with attached tape as a spare rolled up in my back pocket.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Could be Jantex tape - white stays attached to tub, easy to peel off tub leaving no residue if you want to.

I keep an old tub with attached tape as a spare rolled up in my back pocket.

Velox and Jantex are the same thing
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tufo Extreme?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I think Matthew's right; I just pulled off a tub I put on with Jantex earlier this year, and it came off with the desired white stickiness - but I took off another tub (it's been a two-puncture day, boringly), also put on with Jantex, and that had visible, partly transparent tape weave. Possibly there are two types of tape, although as far as I know I keep ordering Jantex 76. The tape with visible weave also has noticeably less stickiness remaining, although it'll probably still do as a spare.