Giant Defy 1 vs Specialized Secteur Sport Disk

llyamah
llyamah Posts: 32
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Apologies for another question along these lines, but can anyone advise which of these bikes is best. Both are on offer for £800. I don't really know anything about specs, so would really appreciate the advice.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/specialized ... sting=true

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/giant-defy- ... sting=true

Comments

• Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Defy all the way, except for the discs it's spec is way beyond the Secteur, Sora>Tiagra>105. It's 10 speed which makes it easier to keep within your comfortable cadence, plus it's got a carbon seatpost, Hollowtech2 bottom bracket and crankset rather than the square taper FSA Tempo on the Secteur.

Discs, handy when it rains or commuting to work, but I'd rather have that extra cog and way superior 105 .

If you're not planning on commuting and only fair weather riding then the Defy is a no brainer, you can always buy SwissStop Green/Blue brake pads just in case it rains.
  • llyamah
    Thanks a lot for the reply - that's really helpful.

Why would disks be especially good for commuting? Commuting is the main reason for getting the bike.

Kind regards

Mark
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For commuting disc's are a good idea if you are riding in the wet and have to stop a lot. Rim brakes are not as good as disc brakes, especially in the wet for sudden braking when a car cuts you up or stops suddenly. That said the 105 groupset is an improvement if you have a smoother ride in.
  • redcup
    redcup Posts: 7
    Can't offer any guidance other than to say that the Defy 1 is available for £699 at Rutland Cycling if that helps with your decision.

(My 2010 Defy 4 has given me no problems at all, but I haven't ridden the Specialized).
  • Elfed
    redcup wrote:
    Can't offer any guidance other than to say that the Defy 1 is available for £699 at Rutland Cycling if that helps with your decision.

(My 2010 Defy 4 has given me no problems at all, but I haven't ridden the Specialized).

That's a great price!

New Defy range has dropped callipers and gone all disc.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Elfed wrote:
    redcup wrote:

That's a great price!

Only the CF framed bikes have disc brakes, the Aluxx framed bikes are still on caliper brakes.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/showcase/ ... chnologies
  • Elfed
    DJ58 wrote:
    Elfed wrote:
    redcup wrote:

That's a great price!

Only the CF framed bikes have disc brakes, the Aluxx framed bikes are still on caliper brakes.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/showcase/ ... chnologies

I stand corrected, the new range seems to have some changes to the frame, plus new logo font and some nice colours
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I like my 2012 Defy 2. I tried the equivalent Secteur and the Defy felt nicer. It's run faultlessly in the 2 years I've had it too.

So I'd maybe suggest having a go on both to see which you find most comfortable...
  • llyamah
    Thanks all for the replies. Going to go for the Giant, I think. Rutland Cycles have a good price on that bike, but that price doesn't apply to the tax-saving scheme so think I will stick with Cycle Surgery.
  • Elfed
    Good choice, you won't regret going for the higher spec Defy.