First fullsuspension MTB

intherepublic
intherepublic Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello friendly bike advisers!

I am currently riding a Hardtail (for 5 years now) and as my skills are improving I wanted to make the next step and upgrade my whole gear. Budget for the bike is approx. 2500£/4000$/3000€. My routes are mostly trails with roots and rock, uphill as well as downhill.

A week ago I went to the local bike-shop and they recommended me those two bikes:
Trek Remedy 8 29er
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/technical_trail/remedy/remedy_8_29/
Specialized Enduro Comp 29er
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/enduro/enduro-comp-29
(They had this one with a Cane-Creek DBair)

The price should include pedals and a dropper seatpost.

What would you recommend and why? What are the things I should be looking for (brakes, suspension, etc.)?

Thank you.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Where are you based?
  • I currently live in Austria - riding in the alps.

By the way the just saw a Cube bike today, could be an interesting choice as well.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd be looking at Canyon, Rose and YT first off.
  • I have been searching and reading. This is what I came up with these nine:

Trek Remedy 8 29
    Specialized Enduro Comp 29
    Cube Fritzz 160 HPA race 27.5
    Cube Stereo 160 Super HPC race 27.5
    Mondraker Dune R
    Canyon Spectral AL 8.0
    Kona Process 153
    YT Capra CF Comp 2
    Rose Granite Chief C 2 Custom-Made 27,5

What do you think? Please tell me what specs I should be looking for to shorten the list!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Are they all comparable prices? Do you need service support from a local shop? I am not going to hunt through the internet for individual specs but my gut reaction is the Remedy and Enduro will be less well specced than say the Capra or the Granite chief.

Have you tried any? Have you tried a 29er? Have you tried a 27.5? Decide on a wheel size maybe? For alpine riding I would be moving away from the wagon wheels but I dont know what you personally ride.

Do you want a triple, double or single crankset? Do you prefer SRAM to Shimano shifting?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Are they all comparable prices?
    They all should be around 3000€ (the more I can save the better of course).
    Do you need service support from a local shop?
    It would be nice but not necessary.
    I am not going to hunt through the internet for individual specs but my gut reaction is the Remedy and Enduro will be less well specced than say the Capra or the Granite chief.
    I would appreciate if you could take a look at the file attached and leave me a comment.
    Have you tried any?
    Yes, I have mostly older ones like 2012 and 2013 models all with 26in wheels.
    Have you tried a 29er? Have you tried a 27.5? Decide on a wheel size maybe?
    Tried both for a couple of hours, but I am not sure what feels better. The 29er was easy to ride/more comfortable while the 27.5er were more "sportier".
    For alpine riding I would be moving away from the wagon wheels but I don't know what you personally ride.
    That's what I was thinking to, but they convinced me at the shop that you could ride the 29er everywhere. There wasn't a chance to try the 2014 models in "harder" terrain, though. Currently I am on 26in hardtail.
    Do you want a triple, double or single crankset? Do you prefer SRAM to Shimano shifting?
    It should have a tripple or double crankset, because I will be riding approx. 10km on flat tarmac until i reach the hills. My bikes always had Shimano shifting. My current bike has a Shimano Deore. Is there such a diffenrece?
  • Sorry couldn't upload the file here on bikeradar (only 256kib allowed), here is the link:
    http://www.filedropper.com/bikesforbrforum-page-001

Please leave a comment telling me which components/bikes are good and bad. It should be easy to compare.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry couldn't upload the file here on bikeradar (only 256kib allowed), here is the link:
    http://www.filedropper.com/bikesforbrforum-page-001

Please leave a comment telling me which components/bikes are good and bad. It should be easy to compare.
    You can't be serious.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Thanks for the virus OP, posting from toaster lol.

The only advice I can give is expect less for your money (component wise) over a hardtail.

I went from full suspension MTB to full road bike lol, hated that bobbing. Then again I had a clunker, I expect the top ones with air shocks are good (because it can be locked out which is a bit counter intuitive as to why it is "good" lol).
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Manc33 wrote:
    I went from full suspension MTB to full road bike lol, hated that bobbing. Then again I had a clunker, I expect the top ones with air shocks are good (because it can be locked out which is a bit counter intuitive as to why it is "good" lol).

Good ones don't need lock out, I run mine fully open and until I hit the rough stuff it doesn't feel much different to a hardtail.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You need to get some demo rides to find out exactly what works for you. There are big differences in the way some of the bikes above ride.
    If you like the Remedy 29, you might hate the Kona Process 153, they are very different bikes to ride.
  • Ok, when test riding is there something I should pay attention to, like loud brakes or is it basically gut feeling?

Are there some parts that just not worth it?