Creaking from the pedal (M540) and crank/bottom bracket

chichee
chichee Posts: 104
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I have searched through the forum but cannot find the definitive answer to my question, so if possible can anyone shed any light on the creaking noise that I am experiencing.

For some background information, the bottom bracket is BB30, mated to a FSA Gossamer crankset and I have Shimano M540 pedals.

The creaking sound is coming from the non-drive side crank when I am putting the power down and only during the downward stroke. During flatter terrain and when I am not putting too much pressure on said crank/pedal, there is no noise.

Rather than take the bike to a LBS, or worse Halfords (though some are ok), I would like to have a go at investigating and solving this issue myself. What tools will I need? What grease will I need? Will I need loctite for the BB?

As far as I am aware, I need tools to remove the pedals (6mm allen key?) and tools to remove the crank (10mm allen key). However, I am not sure what grease to get or any additional tools?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Mine was creaking. We took it apart and removed the grease. It doesn't creak any more.
  • M540s do creak after a while. It's just what they do. No idea if they can be maintained.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Are you sure it's not your foot rubbing against the crank arm? Mine does that sometimes and it's a fairly creaky sound.
  • brimmers
    brimmers Posts: 47
    Remove pedals, clean threads, regrease and refit, worked for me
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I find that SPD cleats wear and start to creak. Mine seem to last about 4-5k miles.
  • chichee
    chichee Posts: 104
    brimmers wrote:
    Remove pedals, clean threads, regrease and refit, worked for me
    What did you use to regrease the pedal? What tools will I need?
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    Mine was creaking. We took it apart and removed the grease. It doesn't creak any more.
    What did you take apart? Pedal or crank or both?
    Gozzy wrote:
    Are you sure it's not your foot rubbing against the crank arm? Mine does that sometimes and it's a fairly creaky sound.
    Pretty sure. Pedal stroke hasn't changed.

Thanks to all the responses so far!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I found it was the cleat on the pedal moving, a few drops of chain lube where the cleat contacts the pedal will be good for a couple of months. Only had this on newer models of SPDs, my ancient silver M747s were silent.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    i took the bottom bracket out, gave it a good clean and greased up with http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... rease-500g

Its been fine now for the last 12 months.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Use a 15mm pedal spanner, remove pedal, remember that the non drive side pedal is left hand thread, clean, grease with any bike grease or any general purpose grease, replace pedal by turning anti clockwise, needs to be bloody tight (technical measurement) if this stops the creaking no need to get into BB removal :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    team47b wrote:
    Use a 15mm pedal spanner, remove pedal, remember that the non drive side pedal is left hand thread, clean, grease with any bike grease or any general purpose grease, replace pedal by turning anti clockwise, needs to be bloody tight (technical measurement) if this stops the creaking no need to get into BB removal :D

Doesn't need to be "bloody tight". Hand tight for pedals is adequate otherwise you are saving a problem for when you next want to take them off - have you tried taking off a pedal which has been overtightened? Guaranteed skinned knuckles or worse.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Yes 'bloody tight' was a bit un-scientific/ un-helpful, but I would disagree that hand tight is adequate, unless your hands can manage 40 nm/30lb ft :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    team47b wrote:
    Yes 'bloody tight' was a bit un-scientific/ un-helpful, but I would disagree that hand tight is adequate, unless your hands can manage 40 nm/30lb ft :D

Apart from that one time when I did them "bloody tight" I have literally used either the 15mm spanner or a short arm allan key and nipped them up by hand. No extra effort other than, "that's the end of the thread, one little push and it's done" tight. No changing grip and pushing (oooer missus), no foot on the spanner and no scaffold tube extensions. So with a short spanner or allan key I would suggest I am getting hand tight.

The pedalling motion encourages the pedals to stay tight and in thousands of miles I've never had a pedal fall off and in every case the effort to remove a pedal is always greater than that used to tighten a pedal.