Castelli Velocissimo Due or dhb Aeron Pro Cycling Bib Shorts

Savagestorm
Savagestorm Posts: 79
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Given the Wiggle sale, these are virtually the same price. Is the Castelli bib of higher quality, or is the higher price just for the brand name?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-veloci ... -bibshort/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-pro-c ... bib-short/

Comments

• Adding the Gore Bike Wear Power 3.0 Bibtights Short+ into the mix!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... --ec059901
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Can't comment on the dhb, but very happy with my Castelli bibs.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Castelli. No contest.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • DHB's are very comfortable and well made. I have a pair of pros and they are excellent VFM- small fit though so if your at the top end of the recommended size chart go for the next size up.

Castelli is decent stuff but as with other big names, overpriced IMO - you pay for the name first then the quality and design 2nd.
  • I have 3 pairs of the DHBs and am very happy with them. I was looking at the Castelli deal, and was tempted by them, but was put off by the reviews saying that they feel a little snug when off the bike.
  • widge34 wrote:
    Can't comment on the dhb, but very happy with my Castelli bibs.

Which Castelli bibs do you have?
    DHB's are very comfortable and well made. I have a pair of pros and they are excellent VFM- small fit though so if your at the top end of the recommended size chart go for the next size up.

Castelli is decent stuff but as with other big names, overpriced IMO - you pay for the name first then the quality and design 2nd.

I understand that you pay somewhat for the Castelli name, and that the dhb are good VFM, however as they are now priced similarly, I am trying to determine the best product.
    I have 3 pairs of the DHBs and am very happy with them. I was looking at the Castelli deal, and was tempted by them, but was put off by the reviews saying that they feel a little snug when off the bike.

Could you point me to said reviews?
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Castelli. No contest.

Why?
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I've got both. I got the castellis recently from Evans seconds, and the DHB Aeron Pros just this week.

They both have a thinner pad, which I prefer to the thicker ones
    The castellis have a slightly better fit, but are shorter in the legs than the DHB

Both are very good shorts for the money, and I prefer them to other more expensive bibs I've owned.

If it came down to it, the castellis are better but only slightly

In terms of size, I've got large in the dhbs and extra large in the castellis
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Castelli everything for me. Properly fitting bib shorts aren't meant to be comfortable walking around in. When you're sat on the bike they are meant to be comfortable and Castelli do this perfectly.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Castelli. No contest.

Why?

I have some velocissimos and they are excellent. A friend bought some of the lady's high end dhb shorts and they had to go back because the elastic was shot after 2 washes. Castelli kit looks a lot nicer than dhb.

DHB sizing is a lot more generous than Castelli. My Castelli bibs in L are smaller than my DHBs in M.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Use a £5 off newsletter code and get the dhb Goldlines shorts for 75 or wait for them to come down, I got mine for 65, they are much better than the already good Aeron pro.
  • DiscoBoy wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Castelli. No contest.

Why?

I have some velocissimos and they are excellent. A friend bought some of the lady's high end dhb shorts and they had to go back because the elastic was shot after 2 washes. Castelli kit looks a lot nicer than dhb.

DHB sizing is a lot more generous than Castelli. My Castelli bibs in L are smaller than my DHBs in M.

I would say the opposite. My DHB Pros are on the smaller side of things that I have had in the past. Many comments on reviews say so too. They are more comfortable on bike than off due to the cut.
  • Funnily enough I find my DHBs to be pretty standard where sizing's concerned. The one Castelli jersey I owned came up small.

One thing I will say about the Aeron Pros, out of the 3 pairs I own, two of them fit more comfortably than the other. DHB gear is great value, but the consistency is maybe not there.
  • Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    I have 2 pairs of the Castelli free aero race, went one size up and fit perfect. After numerous washes, they are still in pretty good nick, the castelli badges get a little worn and tatty quite quickly though.

Maybe throw these into the mix too, cant for wrong for £50

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-evoluzione-bib-short/
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt