Cycle Computer with Gradient Function

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Might seem a bit anal but I would like to know the gradient %age of the various climbs I encounter on my normal fitness outings. Would also be interesting to challenge myself by finding new hills with even steeper gradients than I currently experience.

I know I could simply buy some suitable large scale OS maps and do a contour plot to calculate the gradients but I would prefer to have an instant read-out if possible.

Not looking to spend mega bucks on a Garmin 500 or above which I believe would give me gradient info.

Have found that Cateye used to offer their Adventurer which had a barometric altimeter in-built. It can still be bought through Amazon but the reviews are a bit underwhelming.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cateye-Adventur ... B003A3WVTW

Any other candidates worth considering - preferably for less than £100

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    There was a thread on this recently - do a search on gradient or grade.

FWIW I don't think anything much is going to give you an accurate representation (though one device had an incline measurement - not sure how it copes with movement though) - for sure, barometric altitude is always going to be a bit hit-and-miss over short distances. Combine that with GPS accuracy and you're only going to get an approximation. Better to download an open source map with gradient in it and plan accordingly.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    My Garmin 500 does climb rate, can't say I trust it particularly. I suppose its like a GPS doing speed calculation; it's telling you the difference between two inaccurate readings which means the inaccuracies may compound or cancel out to give fluctuating readings.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited August 2014
    Spirit level, top tube, tape..... sorted.

Seriously. You can buy mini digital spirit levels for cameras and/or Inclinometers for bikes cars (hunt around).

main_IG2126175949.jpgclip_image001.jpg

(if you buy the above, make sure you get the right clamp size)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    craker wrote:
    My Garmin 500 does climb rate, can't say I trust it particularly. I suppose its like a GPS doing speed calculation; it's telling you the difference between two inaccurate readings which means the inaccuracies may compound or cancel out to give fluctuating readings.

Far worse than speed errors! TBH, I think the best way to determine what the gradient is is to listen to what your body is telling you. Apart from anything else, all a GPS can do at the best of times is tell you the gradient over the bit of road you've just ridden on. I'm more interested in the gradient around the next corner but on the balance of things, I generally prefer not to know!

On non GPS units, a barometer can tell you your elevation but you'll have to calculate the gradient in your head - and good luck with that! The OP might be best off just buying Simon Warrens books......
    Faster than a tent.......