New Bike advice for a new member

Dvsjon
Dvsjon Posts: 5
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
HI

Ive just started to get into mountain biking
I currently use an edge reflex which i bought second hand 2 years ago to use with my wife & kids on family days

Now ive got the bug a lot more with a health kick ive started going with friends on better rides but im looking for a second bike to upgrade to for off road riding

my budget is really £200 to £300 top end & im not afraid of second hand to be realistic for this

i did have a look at carrera kraken, Are they any good? the 2014 spec one compared to the 2007 spec one?

or any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• What sort of riding do you want to do?

At that price I would definitely look for something used.
    Another hundred or so will give you quite a few more options though.
  • Dvsjon
    def off road , cannock chase dog & monkey style, district is easy distance away too
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The krakens are pretty good bikes, the 07 in good nick is as good as the current one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Pity You Not Local To Me, Coughs:
    viewtopic.php?f=40089&t=12976075

Ta :oops:
  • Dvsjon
    The Rookie wrote:
    The krakens are pretty good bikes, the 07 in good nick is as good as the current one.

would they manage the dog & monkey ok?

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/xc/

also people tell me giant, trek & cube are decent bikes, any decent names on these in case one pops up?
  • Dvsjon
    wmorgs wrote:
    Pity You Not Local To Me, Coughs:

Is it 20"? im 6ft fella
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dvsjon wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

would they manage the dog & monkey ok?

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/xc/

also people tell me giant, trek & cube are decent bikes, any decent names on these in case one pops up?
    A kraken will manage Cannock no problem.

Big name bikes are usually rubbish value at this price point compared to the better ones from the large turnover outlets like Decathlon and Halfords.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.