bike for my wife

jaybo1973
jaybo1973 Posts: 301
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I am a keen biker and have a half decent specced bike built over time on a 456 frame. My wife has just started doing a bit of biking; in no way hardcore, just forest trails and sustrans trails. At the moment she is using a clapped out old Raleigh that is umpteen years old. She wants something better but that doesn't cost the earth. Can anyone recommend something? As mentioned she does leisurely riding and will never do anything extreme but her riding will always be off road but on 'nice' trails.

Thanks

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    jaybo1973 wrote:
    doesn't cost the earth

bit vague that. Budget?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I picked up a barely used Scott contessa for my other half, cost me about £150 without a mark on it, I now upgrade it with parts that come off my bike which keeps her happy
  • jaybo1973
    Sorry. Budget is probably no more than about £250. Yep my forks were more but as mentioned, it's for mainly easy terrain
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I'd look used, I found quite a few used women's bikes in excellent condition.
  • Would probably suggest a non-women's bike that is the right size for her.
    Generally women's bikes are under specced and overpriced- you essentially pay for a more 'feminine colour'
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above you will have more choice if you find a men's bike that is the right size for her.
    My wife has a Cannondale Trail SL2 which is a men's bike but the 15" frame is perfect for her.
  • jaybo1973
    Cheers guys. Yep, going for a men's sounds a better idea. Although at 5'2" she would need a very small one
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My wife is 5ft2 and rides a Mynx SL. She liked it due to the riding position / feel and having plenty of stand over height to give you an idea why women's bikes can be a good buy. Have a look for a good second hand bargain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The jump style frames like the Scott Voltage and GT Chucker work quite well for women, my daughter had a Voltage we made into a decent XC bike and then reframed it and I rebuilt it for my other daughter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.