Sizing advice please?

Phixion
Phixion Posts: 81
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello,

Earlier today I went to Halfords to buy a Boardman Hybrid Comp (I know, not a Road bike, but I didn't know where else to put this).

I am 5'8" with a 29" inner leg, the woman serving me insisted I needed a Medium, yet I could only just stand over it and the reach felt very stretched, the seat post was also only out 1" or so.

I asked if they had any Small frames in so I could try it and she simply said "no".

Does anyone on here have any advice? Do you think I should insist on trying a small instead of just settling on a Medium that feels too big? The entire reason I went for a Hybrid was to get away from the stretched feeling of my road bike.

Anyone a similar size to me that can advise? Here's the Boardman Bikes geometry chart: http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_comp.html (click on geometry)

Cheers

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Stand over height is irrelevant on road bikes and hybrids. But, from the aesthetics you describe of the seat post only being 1" out of the seat tube, I'd agree that frame size is too big. At 5' 8" I think a 52cm or even a 50cm relative top tube length (horizontal line measured from the centre of head tube to the centre of the seat post) would suit you better. If they can't get a frame in for you to try, go elsewhere.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Phixion
    Phixion Posts: 81
    Thanks for the reply.

I sorted it today, went in and asked them if they could get in a Small for me to try.

Should be ready Wednesday.