Twisted fork or frame manufacturing error

Ben6899
Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
edited August 2014 in Workshop
You need to try another fork. If that's on the p1ss as well, then it's the frame.
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The previous owner must have got it wet :wink:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    is that a tapered steerer?

check it's the correct headset and that headset is correctly installed

what happens as you turn the bars from one extreme to the other, if the steerer were offline then i'd think it'd bind or that you'd see the top of the headset 'wobble'
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod
    did you try turning the bars side to side to see if there's a wobble?

you only show the top of the headtube, is the crown of the fork also out of line?
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Is the bottom bearing in flush ?
    I'd knock it out and try inserting again.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Is the crown race flush? I find it difficult to believe that it was sold new in this condition unless the frame has been crashed?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    el bala wrote:
    It seems that the crown is missing. Could be that the problem?

Looks like there is one fitted to the fork - on some forks it is integral. Sometimes the wrong size/type of crown race means that the fork isn't located properly. If you take the lower bearing out the frame and fit it over the crown race, it you should fit snugly with no movement.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Its extremely unlikely it was sold like this. Bike builder would have spotted it.

It looks like the headset was not installed correctly. I cant tell for sure from the picture but the headset doesnt look complete. Get a new set or have it checked out. It doesnt look like the fork is damaged.
  • sungod
    el bala wrote:

if it's a 53cf-1, according to the fsa diagram it fits like this...

in both cases, the face of the bearing with the bevelled outer edge points into the head tube, and the side with the bevelled inner edge points out

is the crown race on the fork properly seated, does it fit correctly into the bearing?

are both bearings the correct way around and properly seated?

up top, first the alloy race is fitted over the steerer, narrower diameter end facing down, as you push it onto the bearing it should be immediately apparent whether things are aligned or not

then the bearing seal, larger diameter end facing down, then the top cap
  • sungod
    yes, but did you try turning the bars side to side to see if there's a wobble?

this will help show what's wrong, for instance...

if the lower race is fully seated and aligned in the bearing, then if the steerer is 'bent', rotating the steerer will cause the gap in the upper part to also rotate around the top of the head tube
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Was the bike 2nd hand? Have you looked to see if there are any cracks where the steerer meets the fork? It could have been crashed and the steerer forced out of alignment with the fork.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo